Auralex MAXWall?

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Auralex-MAXWall-1141VB?sku=472439

Anyone have some info on this?
How well would it work as a sort of half vocal booth?
It might be good for my studio, I don't need the vocals to be completely isolated or anything, just a bit. Thoughts?
thanks

I can't believe anyone would pay $1000 for that. I'm practically rolling on the floor laughing. What a joke.

No offense to you personally but I'm shocked anyone could be that gullible.

I built my entire vocal booth for $200.

l_3266d291b6d8425c9ebcd9cb27f0e93b.jpg

l_fde794f11cdd4cf0bf03540719033f2c.jpg

l_a9bf605be9334207927cd19d24263d6b.jpg

l_503e418ffbef453c91f0dafcc00a882d.jpg

l_e7244b7feb0f4e1db31182b51e42b390.jpg

l_f4a4458afac34ec79b5aa2fb3f9b02b9.jpg

l_58176ad2b6e748a6bf73cd2991ca07a7.jpg

l_e38072bb2c264b22956714389afc0065.jpg

l_a28e12f7e26d403f9b589597b55586ce.jpg

l_96087ae4894a4c28b98062e452221baf.jpg

l_04f9954e6d4444d58f9a1a567af093ad.jpg

l_ed63f9951bb34f8eaf3b9f0e0bf3bf54.jpg

main.php

If it does a really great job than hell ya I'll shell out the cash for it!... but, it doesn't seem like anyone has heard good things so for now, its a no go. It looks nice and small, I don't have room for a giant wooden box like that. Oh well, there are things I need more right now, I was just curious...

o offense to you personally but I'm shocked anyone could be that gullible.

I built my entire vocal booth for $200.
No offence, but I'm shocked any one who has been around recording could be this dumb. For one, you didn't do your homework. You built a box in a square. Two, had you done some research, you would have known that the walls should have been a six leaf, with an inside out construction, lined with 4" or so of OC703. Three..it looks like you have a considerable fortune in space around it..which most people don't...especially built of CMU...Four...you look like an idiot rockstarwannabee climbing on your framing ready to jump in a moshpit or something. Next time, don't be so dumb.

No offence, but I'm shocked any one who has been around recording could be this dumb. For one, you didn't do your homework. You built a box in a square. Two, had you done some research, you would have known that the walls should have been a six leaf, with an inside out construction, lined with 4" or so of OC703. Three..it looks like you have a considerable fortune in space around it..which most people don't...especially built of CMU...Four...you look like an idiot rockstarwannabee climbing on your framing ready to jump in a moshpit or something. Next time, don't be so dumb.

It's good to have you back Rick- I don't know if you've read any of my post but I reference you in several because you helped me tremendously with the construction of my little studio. I see you are still brutally honest... I suppose I can't fault you for that but my God, it takes a certain someone to take what you say without getting offended! :)

To all the rest, guys, know that Fitz knows his shit. I mean, he ain't just talking. His knowledge of studio building and construction is second to none . My studio is what it is because of him. And I can tell you, it sounds AWESOME. Sure I could (and I will) make a few changes, but all in all it is a great setup.

Holler sometime Rick, again its good to see you back in the forums. But maybe you could be a little less abrasive.... Just kidding :)

This is why I avoid coming to internet forums because of douche bags like you have to make me defend myself when I shouldn't have to.

1. I am very well versed on studio construction.

2. I built this to be extremely cheap and to get the job done and believe me it does.

3. Inside out construction? Do you mean staggered studs? Actually my control room is in a separate room so the isolation I get is very good. I can crank up a guitar amp in the vocal booth and practically hear nothing in the control room. There is a 2000sq ft warehouse between the vocal booth and my control room.

4. lined 4" of OC703? You're a moron. Roxul Rockboard 60 (which is what I use) is more dense at 6lb density than 4lb density of the 703. It is considerably more effective. I mounted all the panels 2" off the sheetrock. 12 panels of this stuff in this tiny booth is more than enough to make it far more than usable.

5. It's not a square. IIRC I made it 5x7x8. Regardless modes are not much of a concern in a booth where I'm recording vocals with peoples mouths on a SM57b and mics directly on guitar amps and even so it's VERY DEAD box.

6. "you look like an idiot rockstarwannabee climbing on your framing" It's called SATIRE, It's a JOKE.

7. I'm so DUMB that I recently recorded a album WITH THIS VOCAL BOOTH that is going to be distributed WORLD-WIDE by UNIVERSAL RECORDS.

You're the kind of person that makes me not want to spend any time helping anyone out on internet forums.

You would seriously rather have this person spend $1000 on 4 big wedges of foam and some stands with a little glass window than maybe have then go to home depot and build something themselves that is better?

Get your know it all ass the hell out of here. You clearly aren't helping anyone.

Last edited:
lined 4" of OC703? You're a moron.
Perhaps in some peoples eyes. Thats why I routinely post my disclaimer here.

Roxul Rockboard 60 (which is what I use) is more dense at 6lb density than 4lb density of the 703.
Hmmmm, in that case, your density hypothisis would suggest concrete should have better absorption coeffiecents than Roxul Rockboard 60....AND it would have doubled as a great TL barrier at the same time.:rolleyes: In that case, I also belive your assessment of me fits you better. Like say ... a glove.

It's not a square. IIRC I made it 5x7x8.
Oh, my mistake. It looked like a square in the pics. My apology in that case. btw, is " IIRC" an American or European standard?

Regardless modes are not much of a concern in a booth

I believe I spot another hole. But I don't think it matters if I fill it or not. Considering your previous hypothisis, I believe density may enter the picture here...and I don't mean the Roxul.

where I'm recording vocals with peoples mouths on a SM57b and mics directly on guitar amps and even so it's VERY DEAD box.
Unfortunately, DEAD doesn't translate into low/mid frequency absorption very well nor into TL. Nor does a mic with a close proximity mouth prevent it from doing what its supposed to do. But what a dynamic mic DOES do is provide a "proximity" effect under those circumstances. Good or bad depends on what your judgement system tells you.

Length(7')
Mode Frequency
1 0 0 80.7
2 0 0 161.4
3 0 0 242.1
4 0 0 322.8
5 0 0 403.6
6 0 0 484.3
7 0 0 565
8 0 0 645.7
9 0 0 726.4
WIDTH (5')
Mode Frequency
0 1 0 113
0 2 0 226
0 3 0 339
0 4 0 442
0 5 0 565
0 6 0 678
0 7 0 791
0 8 0 904
0 9 0 1017

HEIGHT
001 70.6
002 141.3
003 211.9
004 282.5
005 353.1
006 423.8
007 494.4
008 565
009 635.6

I feel generous today.
Lets take a look at something. As you can see here notes produced within the first 12 frets on a guitar will produce notes within the axial mode band of your booth. ie...LOW E= 82.4hz A on 6th string 5th fret=440hz even A4 is only 880hz. Now, do I have your attention?

Let me quote something from here.
http://www.recordingeq.com/EQ/req0400/OctaveEQ.htm
THE BASS RANGE
Covering about 1.5 octaves, from 80 Hz to 250 Hz, this range of frequencies determines the "fatness" and "fullness" of the instrument's sound. Equalization is usually applied centered around two frequencies, 100 Hz and 200 Hz.
For guitars and bass, the 100 Hz range tends to add body and fullness. Excessive energy in this range tends to make these instruments sound "boomy.," This range of frequencies is still greatly affected by the Fletcher-Muson Effect; this means you will need to listen to the mix and instrument both loud and soft. Similar to how the 50 Hz range affects the bass and foot, the guitars should sound fatter when played loud, not boomy. Reducing the 100 Hz energy on the guitar will usually cause distinction between the bass and guitar parts. The lowest fundamental frequency on a guitar is around 80 Hz.

For vocals the 200 Hz range determines the fullness of the vocal. This range can often be reduced to increase distinction on the vocal. If, however, boosting in higher frequencies on the vocal makes the sound "thin" or "small" a boost of 200 Hz. will restore fullness.
When 100 Hz is reduced on a guitar or bass to reduce "boom," at small boost at 200 Hz can be helpful to keep the instrument from sounding "lumpy" (certain notes hard to hear and others standing out). The guitar and bass have almost equal energy at their fundamental and 2nd harmonic frequencies. Thus if a range of notes becomes hard to hear because of a at lot of 100 Hz, reducing energy at 100Hz and adding energy at 200 Hz will help the notes be heard again.

It appears from the axial modal analysis at your booth dimensions, ALL the length, width modes fall within "almost" the entire fretboard on a guitar. Not to mention the height. Unfortunately, my satire failed to mention superchunks at the wall/ceiling intersection. Hmmm, did someone mention "boomy"

The MID RANGE
Covering about one octaves from 250 Hz to 500 Hz, this range accents ambience of studio and adds clarity to the bass and lower-string instruments (Chello and Upright Bass). Too much boost can make higher-frequency instruments muffled sounding and low-frequency drums (foot and toms) have a cardboard box quality. Equalization in this range is applied at many frequencies but most often between 300 Hz and 400 Hz.

The lower part of this range (250 Hz to 350 Hz) is sometimes referred to as "Upper Bass" and is used to increase distinction and fullness on the vocal, especially on female singers.

The Lower Mid Range in general can be viewed as the "Bass Presence Range" Increasing this range gives clarity to the bass line and the lower-register of pianos and organs. Clarity and distinction can be obtained between the foot drum and bass guitar by both reducing the foot and increasing the bass guitar in this range, at the same frequency.
Did someone mention vocals? No amount of eq will remove modal resonace in your booth. And the mic doesn't know the difference nor care. Neither will 2" Roxul in this range.

Furthermore, since resistance absorbers work via the 1/4 wavelength principle, and resistance is the principle which turns energy into heat, via GAS FLOW, it stands to reason, the density has a bearing on GAS FLOW. No gas flow...no absorption. Like CONCRETE. Hence, the denser the material, the less absorption, which is true of the opposite..complete lack of resistance equals no absorption either. This is why 3lb density has better absorption characteristics. In regards to 4" vs 2" with an airgap, it depends on your available space and budget. HOWEVER, NOW put a 4"airgap behind a 4" panel of 3lb density fiberglass...and then listen to the modal range of YOUR booth. an 8" 1/4wavelength translates to a 32" wavelength, which is approximately 425hz
vs Roxul 2" with 2" airgap = 4" 1/4 wavelength translates to a 16" wavelenght which is approx 850hz.......now maybe you'll get my drift.

Yes, its true this takes up valuable interior space...but what the hell..you've had plenty to begin with. You just didn't maximize the possibility of the performance of your booth. But hey...who cares..its only rock and roll. On the other hand, most people do not have the luxury of this much space...but you did. I only mention all this stuff for the benifit of others, so they understand the limitations of booths sized for "typical" home studios. And this isn't even addressing Transmission loss.

It's called SATIRE, It's a JOKE.

So was mine. Especially the "six leaf" thing. Unfortunately, you didn't get mine as well. However, it's what I DID get that was the point of my version of satire.

In closing, might I add...
Given....

12 2x4 perimeter/rim joists and plates(floor, walls, ceiling)
24 2x4 studs min.
5 2x4 floor joists
5 2x4ceiling joists

Approx (46) 2x4 at roughly $3 per 8'= roughly $138 (Double that for a DOUBLE WALL TWO LEAF ASSEMBLY with an inside out construction ie....a DRUM BOOTH.)

" 35 sq' 3/4"" flooring ply at roughly $1 per sq'= roughly $32
" 420sq' ext. and interior sheithing = roughly 6 sheets 4'x8' @ min. $6 drywall interior, and 7 sheets 1/2" 4'x8' ply exterior @ min $10 per sheet. = $106(Double that for a more robust TL
" 200sq' stud/joist cavity batt insulation =@ roughly $.22 per sq'= $44
(1) 32" Hollowcore Luan door prehung with jamb. Min= $57 http://www.homedepot.com/Doors-Wind...ation?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
or (1) 32" SOLIDcore Luan door with jamb. Min= $ 125 (Absolutely required for best TL within reason)
(1) Door Latch set Min $12
(1) Wetherstrip set Min $15 OR (2) Good Automotive door seal stip - Min-$40
Electrical Min $15
Light Min $7

Add Roughly 225 sq' Roxul 2" for complete coverage (walls and ceiling) @ $49 per 48 sq' coverage(6 2'x4' panels)= 5 packs = Min $249
OR roughly half that amount for patchwork(better absorption due to edge effect) = Min $125

So, at the low end, I estimate a minimum of $551 for a booth of your size. In respect to your $200 cost....all I can say is...where do you shop?...I know a contractor who would love to have access to those prices.

and btw....
Acoustical Performance ASTM C423
CO-EFFICIENTS AT FREQUENCIES RHM 60 / RHM 80
Thickness 125 Hz 250 Hz 500 Hz 1000 Hz 2000 Hz 4000 Hz NRC
2.0” 0.32 / 0.43 0.81 / 0.78 1.06 / 0.90 1.02 / 0.97 0.99 / 0.97 1.04 / 1.00 0.95 / 0.90
with 2'' airgap the low frequency coeffiecent will increase. By how much is anyones guess.

vs...
Product thickness mounting density 125hz 250hz 500hz 1000hz 2000hz 4000hz NRC
703, plain 4" (102mm) on wall 3.0 pcf (48 kg/m3) 0.84 1.24 1.24 1.08 1.00 0.97 1.15

And yes, it is more expensive. You get what you pay for. I paid $600 for 4 sheets of 4" thick 4'x10' panels and 2 sheets 3" 4'x10' panels of Knauf(same coeffecients as 703) for my CR alone.

You're the kind of person that makes me not want to spend any time helping anyone out on internet forums.
I make you? How, I don't remember twisting your arm.:rolleyes:

However, I won't offer my opinion of you.

What I will offer is my disclaimer. I never claimed to be more than an HR enthusiast who happens to know enough to get me in trouble sometimes. If thats the case here...be my guest...it won't be the first time.

You would seriously rather have this person spend $1000 on 4 big wedges of foam and some stands with a little glass window than maybe have then go to home depot and build something themselves that is better?
I would rather inform them of the limitations of small booths and the flaws of your view.

Get your know it all ass the hell out of here.
Your the one that says I don't know anything. I believe you even called me a moron. However, no, I won't get the hell out of here.

You clearly aren't helping anyone.

On the contrary, I believe the post before yours proves your hypothisis is in error.

[

Recordman,
You could have put what you said to Joe Douglas in a somewhat kinder way. You could have commented on what you thought of the foam without calling him by the back door 'gullible'. If someone asks an opinion of a product, it's kind of unfair to call them gullible simply because they don't know. Far from being gullible, the OP was being honest and trying to weigh up the pros and cons. After all, he didn't buy the product. He wanted to know if it was worth buying. And other than telling him you thought it was too much money, you never actually explained to any of us why the product is no good. Or even if it is no good. So that wasn't a help and you almost automatically handed the sympathy vote to the OP and had, I wouldn't be surprized, many of us rooting for the underdog. Rick was scathing in a way that made my toes curl but it was one of those scenarios where the crowd turn a blind eye because of what preceded it.........

That all said, I listened with interest to your reply in the guitar tones thread and I liked your sounds.

Dude! Those are awesome! I'll keep it in mind. I like how the MAXwall actually closes and has a window, I was hoping someone here had one and could say if its good or not..

Welp, I think Auralex truly excels at one thing. Unfortunately, its not acoustic treatment. But, their marketing department seams to be top notch. For $1000 you could buy a book, do a lil research around here and with some very remedial DIY skills, treat your entire room, maybe twice over.

You could do Franks suggestion, which IMO would be much more effective, and still realize a significant savings. Do it yourself and save TONS.

If you figure a box of 4" OC703 is about ~$150 to $200 for (6) pieces 4'x2' by 4" thick. Figure another $30-$50 for some 1x4s and hardware (depending on how nice you want it to look) and maybe another $30 to $50 on fabric, you can make something VERY similar to Franks link for about half his cost. If you want to buy rather than make, I'd DEFINITELY go with the GIK stuff.

disclaimer- someone will be along to defend foam as a viable acoustic treatment solution (hint; he'll be the guy who already spent a bunch of $ on foam). And true, foam has some effective (limited) applications. BUT, for everything that foam can do, rigid fiberglass or roockwool does it better and does more and can be actually cheaper.

Last edited:
Back