Audix OM6 For Live Vocals

bgavin

I bought a pair of OM6 new, and have always had the feeling they are somewhat "thin" sounding. I recently started playing with a new band, and the band mates made the same observation.

Anybody have any working knowledge about OM6 being less than an SM58, etc for live work?

I greatly (really greatly) prefer the OM6 to the SM58 and most other similar performing dynamic mics. Friends of mine have chosen them over SM58, Sennheiser MD431, Beyer M69, Audix VX-10 and Sennheiser E845, among others. I don't find it at all thin compared to the SM58. If you need a mic with more proximity effect, you could try a Beyer M88. What kind of music are you playing?

I bought a pair of OM6 new, and have always had the feeling they are somewhat "thin" sounding. I recently started playing with a new band, and the band mates made the same observation.

Anybody have any working knowledge about OM6 being less than an SM58, etc for live work?

You're just used to the SM58, which is about as dull as you can possibly get without wrapping your vocalist in three inches of foam bedding material. Give it time and the sound will grow on you. :D

If you want a little more warmth, though, try a ribbon. Oh, wait, this is for live use? Never mind. Try a wind screen on the OM6. :D

Soloed, yes, they do sound "thinner" but in a mix they shine... Really. Try mixing live with a mix of those and 58s on stage at the same time... You'll be ready to toss the 58s in the junker.

Exactly....

Soloed, yes, they do sound "thinner" but in a mix they shine... Really. Try mixing live with a mix of those and 58s on stage at the same time... You'll be ready to toss the 58s in the junker.

Yes...yes...yes...

The Audix mics (the OM-6/5 and yes, even the OM2) sound OH so much better live than the SM-58...not even a contest. In context and in a mix, they completely "kill" the Shure mic...not even in the same class.

Back