audix mics

zer0sig

headpiece full of straw
i'm curious as to what you all think of audix's, especially if you have used om-3xb's, as i have. now, i've mostly only used cheapies and shures, especially when recording, but compared to everything i've used before, these things sound great! better detail than i thought i'd ever get without getting a condenser, really honest sounding recordings, and apparent versatility as per use with acoustic guitar and vocals thus far. i've been micing with a stereo pair at ~90-110 degree angle between the mics and just toss the source in front of them, moving around to keep the signal at the rough levels i want it for the recordings. i currently have to run through impedence-matching adapters and an old fostex 250 4track's preamps (yeah, i know, my signal-to-noise sucks), but i actually record digitally into my soundblaster live and have been able to pull what i suspect is probably approximately broadcast-quality recordings, though the others who have heard it think it sounds like a cd recording (heh, with only 50 or so decibels of real signal to noise, the preamp noise can get raucous). in any case, i'm more than a little pleased thus far, and though i'm really more or less a rank amateur, i think i can probably record a saleable independent album with these mics in time (looking into a higher quality preamp, but i'll post on that in another forum). in any case, i just want to unequivocally endorse what are some fine mics at the price ($150), and see what you guys think. btw, i'm pretty pleased with audix's customer service, at least through my dealer-2 years and post-warranty parts-only charge for repair. sounds good to me.
any thoughts?

Back