Audix I-5 or Transformerless SM57

I like my I5, but it's an instrument mic. The windscreen isn't that great for the spoken word. Add a pop filter and your fine, or keep more distance. So it depends a lot on usage. And what's important to you. SM57 is more common, so should yours break, you're more likely to get a quick replacement on shorter notice. Or if you need to resale it, turnaround time would likely be quicker.

In theory the I5 is better, but I've never used an SM57 to make that comparison myself. And I've only used the I5 a few times just to get a feel for it. I like the dynamic aspect of it. Less room, high SPL without distortions, no phantom power to drain your batteries quicker. Not perfect, but pretty decent IMO. Worth the $60 I paid for mine anyway.

I know the SM57 will have less output after removing the transformer.....but I want to know which has better sound quality.

I'll use it on snare, and maybe electric guitars.

I've heard the transformerless SM57 on elec. guitars and it sounds good. I haven;t heard the I-5 on anything

Here's a very short and to the point mic comparison of several popular guitar speaker mics:

Order of mics:

i5
e609silver
atm650
md421-II

I didn't include a transformer-less 57 in this comparison

Note: the Play bar does not work. Download the clip.

Last edited:
I have a transformer less 57, (due to a solder tag braking off the transformer when I was working on it I removed the transformer) I used this mic on snare ever since, it was only later that I found out this was an actual mod that was done.

I do think the attack of the snare is improved, but to be honest I don't notice a huge difference. What I do notice is that the approx -20 dB loss is usfull when micing snare as it helps prevent overload on the console input without having to use the console pad (and adding noise by then gaining up the mic pre).

Cheers

Alan.

Here's a very short and to the point mic comparison of several popular guitar speaker mics:

Order of mics:

i5
e609silver
atm650
md421-II

I didn't include a transformer-less 57 in this comparison

Note: the Play bar does not work. Download the clip.

Thanks....good find!!!
The play bar actually worked, and the download didn't (weird)

I liked the I5 better than the 57 (even thought that still had transformer).....it sounded brighter.
Woowee.....no wonder the 421 is used on toms...whats up bass heavy? lol

I have a transformerless SM58 -- the frequency response is flatter - mic sounds a little duller, maybe, but that can be good. The midrange bump is gone. Yep, a lot less output, and yes, that can also be handy -- built in pad.

The I5 sounds mid-scooped to me, which has a purpose, too -- depends on the source and the sound you're going after.

One thing occurred to me about this transformerless mod -- it seems like one important function of the transformer in vocal mics is to block DC current (oops, that's like saying "with au jus", but simply saying "DC" isn't always clear) -- that is, it's a safety thing. Not that anyone's talking about using these for vocals, but I was thinking that if I (accidentally or on purpose) used the transformerless mic for a live performance at a venue with a flaky house system, it could wind up shocking somebody when a transformer-ful mic would not have.

One thing occurred to me about this transformerless mod -- it seems like one important function of the transformer in vocal mics is to block DC current (oops, that's like saying "with au jus", but simply saying "DC" isn't always clear) -- that is, it's a safety thing. Not that anyone's talking about using these for vocals, but I was thinking that if I (accidentally or on purpose) used the transformerless mic for a live performance at a venue with a flaky house system, it could wind up shocking somebody when a transformer-ful mic would not have.

I never thought of that but I don't think removing the transformer would have much effect with shocks, I always thought the electric shock would be due to the body of the mic becoming an earth or active due to dodgy wiring. When I did live sound, the 1st thing I did was plug in a 3 light tester that checked earth and polarity of the outlet(s) for that reason, and yes I did find some very dodgy wiring.

Mind you I would never use a transformer less 57 for vocal.

Cheers

Alan.

Back