Audix Drum Microphones

DKRecords

I'm looking into buying the Audix FP5 5 piece drum mic set. Has anyone had any experience with this mic set? What do you think about it? I already have an Audix D6 for Kick, and I use a Shure SM57 on snare, so I was considering just buying the Audix F2's to use on Toms. Has anyone used these mics at all, and what did you think of them?

Thanks for your input and advice!

Dan

A drummer buddy of mine has the Audix FP4 kit: 1 kick (F12?), and 3 tom/snare mics (F10?)

We tried a simple test run with one of the tom mics rim mounted to my middle tom. The results were good, but as I haven't tried them out in context yet, I can't say "WOW THESE ARE GREAT!!" yet. We'll see how it goes. The short form of what I can tell you is that these mics feel good in your hands and have a good weight, i.e. not cheap. The built in mic "clip" came in very handy. I would definitely recommend the rim mount clips with the goosenecks. Drummer buddy only had the one, but what a difference in set up withough having to fanagle a mic stand around. By using the gooseneck we were able to dink around with aiming the mic at the rim edge of the head, or the center, along with varying the distance from the head. Very very handy, and well worth the $25 a clip in my book.

You mentioned an F2? Did you mean D2? I know the D series kit comes with the D6 (good reviews) a pair of D2's and a D4. If you can swing it, try and get the kit with the overhead pair if you don't already have mics to handle that.

I've been eyeballin' the FP7 and DP7 kits for a bit now and I'm thinking of holding out until the funds become available for the DP7 kit.

Drummer buddy Mike is coming over for a session on Sunday so after that I may be able to give you better info. At this point I'm looking at the following mic set up:
Kick - Audix f12
Snare - Shure SM57
3 Toms - Audix f10's
Overhead - Rode NT2a

Well that's my dos centavos. :thumbs up:

Back