Audix D6 - Sample Recording

amra

Spent some time recording with a Audix D6 on a kick drum this weekend. I usually use a Shure Beta 52. I figured I would post and see what you guys thought...
Sample recording is a little over a minute of drums only.

The bass has a nice fullness. There's an odd whitenoise click on the attack. It doesn't sound like sympathetic vibration from the snare, more like something resting against the head. What beater material do you use? Wood? Felt?

I second the last comments. I also thought that I heard something similar happening with the attack on the first little tom fill.

I wonder if the sound you guys are hearing on the kick could be the channel strip compression? I used 4:1 compression with a pretty hard knee on the kick when I was tracking it. Not sure what else it could be. The beater was hard rubber.

The bass has a nice fullness. There's an odd whitenoise click on the attack. It doesn't sound like sympathetic vibration from the snare, more like something resting against the head. What beater material do you use? Wood? Felt?

i am the one playing the drums on that clip and the kick has a evens emad head on it.......the reason why the snare sounds like that is cause that is the sound we were going for however it's a little loud right now but if you heard it in the song you would see where we were going with it. oh yeah if i am not mistaken...i dont think we eq'ed the kick did we Mike?

Back