Audition mp3 stereo option confusion

Elly

I've started podcasting an audiobook which I edited in Adobe Audition and mixed down to mono. But I've been told I should have saved it in "joint stereo" so people can play it on their mp3 players.

This option isn't available on Audition 3.0, but there is an option to save as 'low complexity stereo'. However, this is only available if I chose to export as 'mp3 pro', which I wasn't using because I was told it's not as widely compatible. There are also options 'allow mid-side joint stereo', 'allow intensity joint stereo' and 'allow narrowing of stereo image' which are greyed out (can't figure out how to un-grey them, don't know what they mean anyway!).

Now, I'm totally, totally confused. I'm basically serialising an audiobook on the web at chrisreynolds-writer.co.uk/podcasts .

This is what I was told: "You might also consider rendering the file as Joint Stereo MP3. The bitrate you're using is fine .. and sounds wonderful .. but some mp3 players object to mono files. Joint stereo has the advantage of having the same file size as mono, but creates a stereo track that can be decoded by virtually every mp3 player on the planet." (this successful podcast person edits in Audacity)

Can you help me? I don't want to get to twenty episodes down the line to find out I've done it all wrong.

I can see how I un-grey those other options now, I just select stereo in the earlier dialogue box - doh! But which one should I chose? Still confused. My head hurts...

Well, just to confuse your farther, "Joint Stereo" is a catch-all phrase for techniques that give pseudo stereo at lowish bit rates and it can refer to either intensity stereo or M-S stereo.

Intensity stereo is normally used at low bit-rates (say <96kbps) while M-S would probably give better quality.

Rather than pick one or the other and (as you say) get it wrong for 20 episodes, I'd probably do a test of both and send them to your adviser for him to say which he suggests.

Thanks, Bobsy! I guess this would all make more sense if I had an ipod. I'll ask again, but I think he just uses audacity, saves in Joint Stereo because that's what he's been told and moves on.

Ah, I see the problem.

I believe that Joint Stereo in Audacity is the M-S version only...but please don't yell at me if that turns out to be wrong after you 20 episodes!

Back