audition cs5.5 won't record when connected to Tascam US-800

muyinchen

hi guys! My first time here. :)
I'm new to home recording. Have only been recording with Audacity, and am now trying to use Audition CS5.5
I have been trying different settings and have also posted in Adobe Audition forum but no one could figure out what the problem was, so I thought I'd see if anyone here knows how to solve the problem.

I am plugging three condenser microphones into Tascam US-800. It records with Audacity just fine.

However, when I record with waveform in Audition CS 5.5 with Tascam US-800, it does not work. I am able to press down the record button, but it won't transport.
Needless to say, I am also unable to record in Multitrack with Audition. the record button is actually grayed out in Multitrack mode.

Since my Audition works when I record with my built in(I'm on a PC, windows 7) mic and speaker, I figure it's a setting issue. However, I cannot figure out what the issue might be.

Below are my "Audio Hardware" settings in Audition. I have tried both of the following settings but neither worked...

first setting --

Device Class: Asio
Device: US-800 Asio Driver (somehow I'm unable to change the "settings" or sample rate when the device class is set to Asio)
I/O Buff size: 250 samples

second setting --
Device Class - MME
Default Input: (Microphone US-800 Audio)
Default Output: (Microphone US-800 Audio)
Masterclock: (Out:Speaker US-800 Audio)
Latency:200
Sample Rate: 44100

anyone can help? I'm really at my wits end here :(

mollie

Another possible thing that may be causing the problem is that when I check my windows "sound" setting, even though I can see my tascam US800 under both "playback" and "recording" tabs, and have changed the default to US800, the sound volume bar next to the US800 does not respond to any sound. tascam sound setting.JPG
I believe the condenser microphones and US800 are both installed properly as the lights on US800 respond to sound, and, as mentioned before, it does record in Audacity just fine.

When the record button is greyed out on Audition it's often a mismatch of sample rate/bit depth.

A couple of things to do. First, go to the Tascam site and download/install the latest version of drivers. I did hear of Win7 issues with earlier Tascam drivers.

Second, open up the Tascam software that should have come with your interface and set up the sample rate and bit depth there--then go to Audition and create a new session. This should give you a dialogue box where you specify the sample rate/bit depth to match what you specified in the Tascam controller.

Just as an aside, use the ASIO drivers and settings if possible as this will give a lot less latency than MME.

Back