Audiphile 2496 needs special mothercard?

calle

Im gonna shop new computer and have a few questions im still not sure about.

1. Is there any motherboard that is not compatible with Audiophile 2496?

2. Is it a problem if you buy a motherboard that has a builtin soundcard/audio support or do all mothercards have that?

3. Should I go for sd ram or ddr ram? How much ram? If I buy for example ddr ram will i not need to buy as much because its better?

4. Is it a smart thing to buy a big "computer box" so the soundcard can be placed as far away from the rest to avoid electronic buzz and noice?

Please ask as many questions as you can, Thanx, C.

1. Yes. Well, in real life anyhow. Contact M-Audio directly for a list of boards that they recommend. This will increase your chances of success.

2. Just the fact that it *can* be a problem in some instances is enough to warrant a motherboard without onboard audio. Besides, audio is an *option* on most boards, and the non-audio versions are typically cheaper anyhow....that is of course if you are talking about a high quality board to begin with. Crapo cheap boards are typically mass-produced with integrated audio and video and appeal to vendors selling very cheap systems to internet users. Never underestimate the motherboard, see #1.

3. If you get a DDR motherboard, use DDR. It's not much more expensive. The speed difference won't be phenomenal but what the heck. You need to get 256MB. If you go over 256MB, get it all on one stick or get matched sticks (same make/model).

4. No, not typically.

Slackmaster 2000

i have a aduiophile 24/96 i want to start by saying it is a great card for the money def notice a huge difference in sound quality from the sb live in sonar. anyway this is what im running it on.
p3 500
384ram
2 hd 1(programs) 2(audio -7200)
with a VIA chipset(which everyone will tell you not to use)-bullshit
because they say you will get pops and clicks with the via chipset and the audiophile i dont even with very low latency so.
i would recomend if you are getting a new computer get a good mother boad you wont reget it

Don't bother emailing M-Audio in regards to compatible motherboards calle, trust me on this one :D I emailed M-Audio myself, probably a month or so asking about compatible motherboards. Here's what they sent me:

>>Most P3 or P4 systems work great with our sound cards. AMD setups work very well also, and I haven't heard of any problems with AMD systems made within the past couple of years. I'm including with this email a list of recommended motherboards from our tech department. These have been found to work best.

Best Regards,

Dylan Steffens
Inside Sales
Midiman/M-Audio

Pentium:
· Asus P3B-F(P II)
· Asus CUBX(P III)
· Asus CUSL2C(P III)
· Asus TUSL2C(P III)
· Most mobos with an Intel 815 chipset(PIII)
· Most mobos with an Intel 850 chipset(Pentuim 4, Rambus DRAM)
· Most mobos with an Intel 845 chipset(P4, PC133 SDRAM)
AMD:
· Asus A7A(AMD chipset, Athlon)
· Abit KG-7 Lite NA(no audio)(AMD chipset, Athlon)
· MSI K7T Pro 2-A(VIA chipset, Athlon)
<<

Obviously some of these boards are not the most modern out there now but I guess it's worth it to look into and it's a good start. Now obviously if you've got a question on a particular compatible motherboard/chipset feel free to email em.

Slack is right when he says try hard to find a motherboard WITHOUT onboard anything - audio, video, LAN, etc. However the ECS Athlon motherboard (see my post elesewhere) I just bought yesterday has onboard audio & LAN. It's not easy finding just a straight motherboard these days, the manufacturer's motto seems to be "more loaded with crap than a Christmas turkey". But try...

Thank you both Slackmaster and Basslord! At least now Ive got a vague idea of what im looking for, but i gotta say its not easy :) Since theres about a frillion motherboards to choose from.

The list you gave me Basslord was neat but as you said it would be good to get a newer one.

I emailed M-audio but to no avail :(

So if anyone else has any specific recommendations on a motherboard that will work without any problems with a Audiophile 24/96 please stand up.

Calle.

See calle, that's impossible to say. Person A will have no troubles with the Audiphile on Motherboard X, but Person B will have all sorts of troubles. There are *SO* many variables involved that it's impossible to say "Motherboard X will work perfectly with the Audiophile under any circumstances."

So, avoid the ones that are explicitly not supported, and then get ready to take your chances....hopefully all the rest of your hardware, software, OS, drivers, etc will jive well together in the new board, along with the new soundcard.

Slackmaster 2000

Back