audioslave cover, my best mix yet

Laynestaley

Newbie Shmewbie
I posted this one before but without the vocals. I finally added them and finished the whole song. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I might have to bring those vocals down a bit.
I also added the intro which is done on guitar! I finally figured out how Tom Morello did that.

Any comments/help on the mix would be great.

Koen.

'I am the highway'

Sounds alright. Your guitars are a little out of tune, or the intonation is out. I think this is only a problem before the vocals come in. Back off the vocals for sure. If the voc als are the best you could do, thats cool. But I think they need a bit of work. It sounds like you arent singing them with enough air support due to improper breathing. Check out a couple books or articles on breathing, that might help you hit the notes and support them a little better. A tip, try double tracking the vocals in some parts. Sounds pretty decent though.

Great guitar sound on the intro. I'm jealous. Yeah, beathing is a little weird on the vocals. But they are produced very well. Nice space on them. I like the voice.I think the kit sounds muffled because it's all centralized, there's no panning. Sounds good otherwise.

Re: :)

jerberson12 said:
Need more fills for the drums.
Everything is clean. Good Job
A little bit of compression.
Vocal very Good.
The drums are actually pretty much the same as in the original. Thanks for listening

packratlouie said:
Sounds alright. Your guitars are a little out of tune, or the intonation is out. I think this is only a problem before the vocals come in. Back off the vocals for sure. If the voc als are the best you could do, thats cool. But I think they need a bit of work. It sounds like you arent singing them with enough air support due to improper breathing. Check out a couple books or articles on breathing, that might help you hit the notes and support them a little better. A tip, try double tracking the vocals in some parts. Sounds pretty decent though.
I know the guitarpart before the vocals come in doesn't quite sound like it should. I realise now that I should've played Am instead of Asus. Oh well :d
As for the vocals I'm afraid that is the best I can do for now. I know I could show some improvement if I learned how to breath properly, so I will try your suggestions.
Thanks.

Sonixx said:
this is really decent...

the kit seems a bit muffled... especially the snare and rim taps
The drums are all in mono, this might have something to do with that. Thanks for the listen.

Daenn said:
Great guitar sound on the intro. I'm jealous. Yeah, beathing is a little weird on the vocals. But they are produced very well. Nice space on them. I like the voice.I think the kit sounds muffled because it's all centralized, there's no panning. Sounds good otherwise.
Thanks man. That intro gave me a hard time. I thought it was some kind of organ/keyboard till I read in the cd booklet that "all sounds are produced by guitar, bass, drums or vocals... It's actually just done with a volume peddal.
I might try to get the kit in stereo.

Thanks all,
Koen

Yea if it's got morello in it, it's all guitar. I think the stereo kit will fill out the sound nicely.

Love the intro!
Work on the snare sound, it sounds nothing like the snare Wilk uses, and, as was mentioned, the drums as a whole sound muffled.
Watch the vocals too, they seem flat the whole way through.

But I'm suprised how close it is to the real thing! You picked up on some of the little nuances in the song that really make it come alive.

Back