Audiophile USB

warmth is good

Hello folks, has anyone used all 4 ins on the Audiophile USB (or possible the PCI Audiophile also)?

Are there any differences in the RCA ins compared to the TS ins such as possible performance lag from using 4 input channels, or dip in sound quality....if not, is the only difference the sort of input jack required?

ie, I am looking to record drums with the card, with 4 mics, amped with 2x DMP3s, and have never really dealt with RCAs.... Is it the same principle as TS except I will need to get adapters to convert the TS to an RCA jack?

Heres some details from the M-audio site...

USB recording: • 16-bit/44.1kHz > 4-in/4-out
• 24-bit/44.1kHz > 4-in/2-out or 2-in/4-out
• 24-bit/48kHz > 4-in/2-out or 2-in/4-out
• 24-bit/96kHz > 2-in or 2-out

I was surprised when i read this, I didn't actually realise it had 4 ins when I got it, I have a feeling theres some sort of catch!!! If there is no catch, why not just have 4xTS inputs??

Anyone got an idea?

.......(I was previously using a Delta 44 for drums).........

cheers
kevin

Erm...i think I've answered my own question. It has two analogue inputs via the TS jacks, and two digital inputs via the RCA. Correct me if I'm wrong....

warmth is good said:
I was surprised when i read this, I didn't actually realise it had 4 ins when I got it, I have a feeling theres some sort of catch!!! If there is no catch, why not just have 4xTS inputs??

The big catch is that USB audio is notoriously unreliable.... If you can get a FireWire card and a FireWire interface, you'll be a lot happier in the long run, IMHO.

Naa...I've had no problems with it what so ever. Although the max no. of tracks ive had in a project is around 30, or there abouts, so maybe when i start using more I'll come across problems.

For my purposes, and anyone else that's not recording and mixing full orchestras or the like, it does a great job in my opinion. ;)

Back