Audiophile USB - No good @24/96 (review, sort of)

CQ7String

Hi all, hope this is the right forum for this.

I'm still on the fence about it.

The interface itself is slick. Installs pretty easy if you pay attention, though by default Windows installs the MIDI channels as ASIO 3/4 instead of Midi (and doesn't prompt you, so you have to manually install them).

Latency: Runs well around 2ms.

USB: Runs great IF it's the only thing on that channel. For instance, if I plug it into my onboard USB (which my keyboard and an external hard drive share), it's snap crackle pop. I had to put it on it's own PCI USB card, but after that it's clean.

Now here's the catch. The thing is advertised as 24/96. And it runs at 24/96. But ONLY if you only use the In, and send the outs somewhere else. The USB 1.0 interface on it isn't fast enough to handle full duplex, so if you want to run it 24/96, you need to only use the input on it, and use (for example) a stock soundcard as the out.

Which would be all well and good - aside from the fact that it drops out like a bastard even with just the in running, and needs really high latency to even work.

So if 16/48 is ok with you, This thing's good. If you want 24/96, go somewhere else, because plainly - it sucks.

Bottom line: I'll be eBaying mine and picking up something that'll do true 2496 instead of M-Audio's shady interpretation of it. They aren't falsely advertising it, since it does run 24/96, but it runs like total shit.

Audiophile-USB.jpg

Have you tried it on a usb 2.0 machine? usb 1.0 is a little old (older than affordable 24/96)

I use an Aardvark USB interface at 16/44. It'll do 48 but I haven't bothered with it. I used to experience occasional pops through usb 1. Microsoft has a patch for this if you're running XP. (Something about frame dropping on usb 1.) Then someone gave me a USB 2 PCI card. I installed it, and run only the Aardvark on the usb 2 card, and all other usb devices on the original usb 1, and all is well.

Microsoft patch for Windows 98 USB problems

cq7string,

I'm not an expert in this kind of thing but I did run across a Microsoft patch that may or may not apply to your USB problem. You did not mention the computer or USB card you're using. The description mentions the problem with AMD processors and VIA chip based USB controllers.

This is the download URL:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...25-952b-4dab-b7a1-f3b0ec1e50d8&DisplayLang=en

Windows 98 Second Edition: Updated Uhcd.sys Fixes Problem with Some USB Devices Not Running

Download the updated driver to fix USB problems on computers with an AMD processor (running at 350 MHz or faster) and VIA Technologies USB controller.

Quick Info

File Name:

240075UP.EXE

Download Size:

159 KB

Date Published:

10/15/1999

Version:

Overview
Universal Serial Bus (USB) devices that are plugged into a computer running Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition may not work if the following hardware components are installed on the computer:

* AMD processor (running at 350 MHz or faster)
* VIA Technologies USB controller

This behavior occurs because there is a timing-specific problem in the Universal Host Controller driver (Uhcd.sys) that may prevent USB devices from be properly enumerated under specific timing conditions.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Bamibi B

distortedrumble said:
....why wouldnt you just get the ap24/96 PCI card instead of getting a PCI card with usb hookups?

I wanted a straight USB device, not another PCI card. Moving it to it's own bus was an afterthought. I am running it on USB 2.0 slot, but the interface itself isn't 2.0.

And to the rest: It's not that I'm having any problems with it, it's just that the device itself was never really meant to be used in a 24/96 situation. It _can_ do it, but does it poorly.

My machine's a home built 3Ghz with 4GB of Ram. For this thing to be dropping out on me at full duplex 24/96 isn't my PC, it's the device itself.

24/96 is a hell of a lot of data to be moving on a bus that was designed for keyboards and mice.

Consider going to Firewire instead (it was designed from scratch to move large amounts of data.)

Back