audiophile not getting the job done

darknailblue

Hi I have an M Audio audiophile in my PC that doesn't get the job quite done. This is mainly due to the fact that it doesn't have any MIDI synth in it. I use my PC to capture inspiration, and to do arrangements on songs. So the midi synth is essential for me. Any recomendations? I was looking at those new soundcards by creative/emu but I am not sure if they have the synth that i need. Any suggestions.

~darknail

how powerful is your computer? if you have enough juice, you should definately consider softsynth programs. I find softsynths to be much better than onboard hardware synths. I'll say right now that i do not have a lot of experience with hardware soundcard synths like the soundblaster and GM soundfonts and stuff but...

programs like project 5 (www.cakewalk.com) and Reason (www.propellerheads.se) are excellent. Check out their demos at their websites.

Spend 300 bucks on one of these software packages insted of a new soundcard.

Why don't you buy a soft synth. You don't need another card you just need sounds, There are hundreds of those on the market and I'm sure one will be exactly what you need.

darknailblue said:
Hi I have an M Audio audiophile in my PC that doesn't get the job quite done. This is mainly due to the fact that it doesn't have any MIDI synth in it. I use my PC to capture inspiration, and to do arrangements on songs. So the midi synth is essential for me. Any recomendations? I was looking at those new soundcards by creative/emu but I am not sure if they have the synth that i need. Any suggestions.

~darknail

Generally you're pro audio type sound cards are not going to have synths built into them. They're mainly there to transfer audio/midi data. Like others have suggested, I would either get a softsynth or find yourself a decent outboard module that you like. Reason is most certainly a good piece of software, and I'm glad I just spent the $300 for it.

Back