Audiophile 2496 + SoundBlaster

BloodShark

Hi all,

I currently have a SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Platinum running on Windows XP and I'm planning on buying an Audiophile 2496. Couple of questions:

1. Can both soundcards live toghether with no conflicts?
2. If so, can I use the Audiophile to record all audio/midi and play the audio data, but play the midi through the soundblaster (so I can use soundfonts)?

PS: I'm using Sonar 3.0 to do my recording.

Thanks guys!
Cheers,
BShark

Shouldn't be a problem unless you have some IRQ conflict.

I ran an Echo Mia and SBLive together for a couple of years just to use the SBLive for soundfonts/midi as you are going to do. No biggie. You will need to route the LineOut of the SBLive to a channel on your mixer to get the sound back into the Audiophile (no, it can't be routed in the computer, it has to be done physically.)

In your sequencer, you just have to tell all the audio I/O to go to the 24-bit card and all the MIDI to go to the SBLive.

But I threw away the SBLive after running a soundfont VSTi purely in the 24-bit card instead. I use Bismark's BS-16, but rgcaudio.com has "sfz" in free and pro flavors. And VSampler (or Halion or Kontact) would also do it in Sonar. Personally, I found that using Bismark with a really big GeneralMidi soundfont sounds BETTER to me than running the secondary SBLive card, so I tossed it.

Great! I'll go for the two soundcards then, 'cause I can't afford the Bismark right now, but I'm sure I'll go for your suggestion in a near future!

Thanks man!

Back