Audiophile 2496 problem...

Rockr56

Sometimes when I record I get a crackling noise on my take that is not apparent while monitoring. The crackling is the the length of the track except where there is silence. So there is crackling only when there is sound coming in. It also seems to be intermittent. I recorded one side of a cassette tape which came out nice and clean, but by the time I flipped the cassette to record side two, yep, crackling. I'm sure I'm not clipping or overdriving in any way. Also it is not the tape. This has also happened when recording vocals. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Win98 SE
CoolEdit and Cakewalk Pro Audio

what version is your AP2496 driver?

based on my experience, AP2496 only works well with v.27 for Win98SE...

I think the latest driver also works well.....

Hey:

I've had driver problems with my AP 2496 also. I've been running n-Track with XP. I had a serious rash of new problems getting *anything* in n-Track to work after downloading the upgraded driver from the M-Audio website, so beware. I eventually wound up downloading the older driver available as a backup from M-Audio's website. The 2.7 driver allegedly works best and is surely available somewhere, but I couldn't find a download for it. I've recently purchased Cakewalk HS 2004, which seems to be performing somewhat better with the AP 2496 than n-Track has.

You might also check the caching on the Control Panel (Hardware Settings) for the soundcard and experiment with increasing or decreasing it.

Best regards,

Tio Ed

Thanks for the replies. I tried both the old and new drivers and the problem exists with both. I went from the 4.13.01.0042 to the 4.13.01.0047 Panel version 1.03.17-2.2.00. Also tried different PCI slot, larger buffer size, no IRQ conflict, I'm beginning to think it's the card but I'm going to try it in a different PC to be sure. I will try the caching thingy. Thanks again!

Back