Audio-Technica AT825

Sonic Idiot

I ordered a stereo AT825 and Sony hiMD minidisc player, (which records in 16 bit, 44.1!--for only $200.) to record ambient stuff and samples and so on. I got it a week ago. So I've been futzing around with the mic, recording various crap with it (not with the minidisc, mind you. RNP, RNC to computer):

Accoustic guitar and voice: by itself, not very good (The mic, that is. I, on th other hand, rule!). This mic is not in love with my guitar. It's not bad, but I'm a little disappointed. It does wonders, however, set somewhere else in the room and mixed low along with a main, mono mic. The improvement is sigificant. My recorded life has very much improved.

Ambient noise: traffic, rain, etc. Wonderful. Everything I had hoped for.

Drums: This is the big surprise. This thing LOVES drums. It takes a drum sound I had been perfectly happy with and make me wonder what I was ever thinking.

Now, I know there will be naysayers. I'm not going to overstate how great I think this mic is. It's was around $350. It's not going to make everything you record sound like a Ry Cooder record. But after one week, I'm thinking it's the best thing I've purchased for recording in a good long while. Considering its cost, it's a tremendous value. And I spend all my cash on this crap. So there you go. I'll post some audio later.

Back