Audio Technica AT2020 Condensor

DREAMLABS

Has anyone tried the new Audio Technica AT2020 Condensor yet? Where can I find a REAL review on it? It's been out for about a year now I do believe. Any feedback?

p29418b.jpg

p29418m.jpg

p29418g.jpg

im interseted in hearing them too. i only saw an add fore them a month ago. might be trying to get in on the b1 market i guess.as long as it sounds as good as there other product line could be a winner. now who will be the first to try

Alexi said:
looks a bit like that kel audio mic

Looking at the specs, frequency plot it looks like a 3035 without the roll off or pad. Neither does it come with a shock mount.
If you were really strapped for cash I would consider it but if not you might as well add an extra few dollars and get the 3035.

The AT-2020 has only been out for a couple of months. I think they debuted it at AES. You'll probably start to see reviews soon. I don't think I have seen any yet. As of yet, I haven't used one either.

Alexi said:
looks a bit like that kel audio mic

It looks exactly like the Kels, including the mounts.
I got a pair of the Kels a few weeks ago. I am still putting them through the paces.

Tom

KEL Audio Responds

Just a quick note ... the AT2020 and the KEL HM-1 are very different -- except for the swivel mount!

The AT2020 uses a medium diagphragm electret capsule while the HM-1 features an externally biased capsule. This isn't necessarily better or worse (for example DPA makes some electret mics that are considered some of the finest mics in the world for their intended application) however, the microphones don't sound at all alike.

The AT2020 is physically larger than the HM-1 roughly 6" by 2" while the HM-1 is a little over 4-3/4" by 1-3/4. They both weigh about the same.

The mics look somewhat similar when photographed at a slight angle but that's where the resemblance ends.

I don't know where the AT2020 is made.

I won't make any other comments ... just that this is not the first thread on the first newsgroup/bbs that has speculated they might be the same mic and I wanted to provide some clarification.

Kelly Dueck
for Kel Audio Inc.

Well, I've got one, but I'm not sure I can give you much information that you might find useful. First of all, I have absolutely NO experience with other low budget LDC's, so I have no frame of reference to compare it to. When I worked in a commercial studio (which was a long, long time ago) we had high quality, professional LDC's to use. So, I've never used an SP C1 or B3 or an MXL 67 or 69. Furthermore, I haven't put a second hard drive in my PC, yet, so I haven't done much actual recording. I've only recorded a few seconds at a time, so far, just to make sure that my Firepod is working. So, all of my critical listening was done through a Presonus MP20, into a Lexicon 550 (sometimes bypassed), then into quality headphones (AKG 24DF's), straight out of the MP20, for monitoring. So, take this all with a grain of salt (or two or three).

What I will say is that I'm impressed with what I've heard so far. I really expected it to be pretty much useless, but since it came free with the Firepod, it wouldn't have been any big deal. Most of the things I've noticed were touched on by the other reviews that have already been posted. Little to no proximity effect. (And that's a good thing in my book.) Very slight presence boost. Sounds pretty "natural" and un-hyped, overall. Even more importantly, as far as I'm concerned, is the QUALITY of the high frequencies that ARE there. I've heard lots of audio gear (speakers, preamps, mics, etc...) that had plenty of high frequencies, but the highs that were there were so grainy and/or brittle that they were just plain unpleasant to listen to. Not so with the AT2020. Very smooth throughout the entire frequency range. Altogether a very nice, and completely useable tone. I'm very happy with it.

Bottom line, I'm still planning on buying some more LDCs, but I fully expect to find LOTS of uses for this mic, even when I've got some pricier ones around to give me more sounds to play with. Sounded fine on my voice, and even sounded pretty decent on my acoustic guitar.

Hope this helps.
Brad

Back