Audio Technica AE3300

applejax

What is your guys opinion of the AE3300 hand held condenser. My school has bought it for recording and im the one in charge of doing the recording...and they bought it before i could talk to them about some mics to buy. So if its not good i wanna take it back and get something better. Anyways Thanks!

applejax said:
What is your guys opinion of the AE3300 hand held condenser. My school has bought it for recording and im the one in charge of doing the recording...and they bought it before i could talk to them about some mics to buy. So if its not good i wanna take it back and get something better. Anyways Thanks!

Take it back. What are you going to use a mic on?

Drums (no bass dum)/Elec Guitars/Vocals (background)/Acoustic Guitars = GT 44,Oktava MK319, Oktava MKL-2500,
(AT GC for $199.00 on SALE) same with the Oktavas (get them only when they are on sale)

Shure SM57 if you have to.

Another good set to buy would be the Oktava MK012 (2/$99.00)

These are the only ones I have used extensively. There might be others like the MXL range. Chessrock or DJL can help you with the latter.

Good Luck.

BTW, If your pricerange goes higher, you would do well to consider the AT4050 as a solid do-almost-anything type of mic. I have these as well and use them all the time.

For its intended applications, that's reputed to be quite a fine microphone.

IIRC Ty Ford did a review of it on his website, and in any case thinks highly of it. Along with the AE5400, they're both supposed to be "sleepers".

The AE3300 has the same capsule as the AT 4033 BTW.

Chris

P.S. Adding something like SM57 is always a good suggestion to cover
more bases.
In fact a '57 works better for me as a vocal mic than a AT 4033!:) (YMMV)

Ok cool thanks guys. Theyre gonna keep it but theyre gonna buy a mic that'd be a good LDC and theyre saying something under 500$ so what? Maybe a SP C-1 or something thanks!

I have used the AE3300 quite a bit. I like it, has a very detailed sound for a live mic, and obviously has a high output.

Two main problems though - the proximity effect is WILD to the point of being untameable. I'm talking about putting two low shelves and cutting all the lows on the desk when a male singer is right onto the mic. There's a low cut on the mic itself, which shows they knew this problem ... but I've found on fairly decent Soundcraft desks that the bottom end is too much for the mic pres to work with and still have enough signal left for monitors etc.

The other problem is similar ... use the pad switch on the mic. Definitely. Again, if you've got your gain at seven or eight o'clock you know you're reaching your limits.

YMMW, of course, and this is my experience in live use only. A good mic ... but I often find myself using my Sennheiser E845s instead because of these issues with louder singers.

Could be! I think they're a great mic, but if you have a singer who moves around or holds in his hand you may end up clipping big time like I was doing last Saturday. I lost patience and walked onstage halfway through the set to change the mic!! How bad etiquette is that!

I'd love to get one home to try with for recording, but sadly the ones I use go with someone else.

noisedude said:
I lost patience and walked onstage halfway through the set to change the mic!! How bad etiquette is that!
:D

movers and swayers I can understand - they're into what they're doing
but these guys that cup the flipping mic :rolleyes: especially after you've explained to them for the millionth time why not to do it!

Yuk! Yes! If they realised the effect it has, maybe it'd stop. Negative aversion therapy for rappers, anyone? :p

Back