Audio-Technica 4033

muzeman

Did Audio-Technica reissue the 4033 as the 4033CL?
Iv'e seen the CL advertised as a new item.
Is it the same mic,with the 3/4" dia.?

I thought the 4033 was discontinued?

Pete

Last edited:
The 4033 is still available, but the price increased to about $400. I doubt it will be discontinued, it's too big a seller. The CL might refer to the shockmount, I'm not really sure.

Thanks.

Last year when they came out with their SE model it was supposed to be discontinued.
Nobody was selling them anymore.
I'm glad to see it around again,definitly on my wish list!

I think your right about the CL designating the shockmount,that's how they have done most of their models in the past.
Probably stands for Clip or something.

Pete

The AT4033/SE (Special Edition) was the 10-year anniversary addition of the 4033 and came with a wooden box. The AT4033/CL is the same mic as the original 4033 and the SE, the CL stands for classic.

The only reason I know any of this is because I bought a pair of these last year and the SE's where running short, so I called Audio Technica and was given the information above.

Thanks Groundloop.

How do you like them?
I always like the biting sound of it on vox,especially on country/acoustic type stuff.

I use a Dragonfly right now,but am looking for something that might be better suited for acoustic/vocal work.
Do you use it on vox?

Thanks,
Pete

I'm a more of a songwriter than a recording engineer so I don't have a lot to compare it with, however I have used it on male vocal for country and ballad, and on female R&B. I use the pair on acoustic guitar when doing a guitar and vocal only and it sounds great.

I don't use it for male rap and rock/hard rock vocals; it just never seems to fit. When the acoustic guitar is in the mix with lots of other instrumentation I have had better results with small diaphragm condensers.

Over all a great mic, I tried several mics at Mars last year and picked up the SE because it suited my voice well and was in my price range. A few months later I picked up the other because I found I liked the mic on acoustic guitar and I wanted a pair. Even thought they are not a matched pair they sound good together.

Hope this information helps.

ive had a pair of these for about 4 years now. They are wonderful! Still come of the first mics i grab because they work with practically everything and perfect for alot of applications. They are really mellow on vocals, doesnt bring them out much but that can be great for some things. my favorite is using them on acoustic guitar. ;)

danny

groundloop,Thanks very much for the info,I really appreciate it.

That's really why I want one,Iv'e heard it on a number of country style recordings around here,always has "that" sound,and being good on acoustic is a plus.
I always felt it would sound good on my voice.

darnold,I appreciate your help,thanks,

You hit the nail on the head I think,mello vocals that don't jump out.
I definitly have to try one.
Thanks,
Pete

Hmmm........

I would never say my 4033 is a mellow vocal mic. Just the opposite. Edgey, detailed, and present. The 5-7k frequency bump seems to agree with this.

I like my 4033 though, and you wouldn't go wrong with it, but I'd also check out the newer 4040 while you're at it.

-Jtt

Yea, the 5-7k frequency bump is a pretty specific-type thing.

In other words, if I were buying this as a vocal mic for my own voice, I would be sure to audition it really good first. On most voices it sounds great, but when mismatched with the wrong voice, it can sound kind of harsh so you're mileage most definitely will vary.

That's pretty much true of any mic, though.

jet-rocker-Thanks for the info.
I'll have to try it out I guess.

chessrock-Hey Chess,thanks again for the help!
Your right,I definitly need to hear it for myself.

Gear lust,it's a terribile thing!:D

Thanks,
Pete

Back