Audio Interfaces & USB ports

Blakeb

Hi there,

I am about to purchase a Presonus firebox for recording vocals.

I have a Yamaha cs1x synth as my midi controller for laying down keyboard parts. I run it through an M-Audio midisport (simple 1in 1out)

The quality of my vocal recordings with the Firebox should be fine but I'm worried about my keyboard - I only have my factory soundcard.

I am also going to purchase the Pod XT live for direct guitar recording.

With the exception of vocals, the majority of my recording will be done with the keyboard and guitar.

Because I only have a factory soundcard, will the quality of my keyboard/guitar recordings be poor? I will be using Reason 3.0 + Cubase (forget what version)

Any suggestions?

Features

* High-Speed FireWire Audio Interface
* 24-Bit / 44.1, 48, 96K Conversion
* 2 Microphone / Instrument Preamps
* 6 Analog Line Inputs, 6 Analog Line Outputs
* S/PDIF Input / Output, MIDI Input / Output
* Low Latency Monitoring
* Headphone output with separate audio stream
* Powered via FireWire Bus or Externally
* Fits Maxrack rack mounting system
* Includes Cubase LE Audio Production Software

Your Firebox *is* a sound card. It just external and has many more high-quality inputs and outputs than your typical computer sound card has. Audio goes from instrument or microphone to the Firebox, to the computer, into the software. Adapters? Microphone XLR plugs go right into the front of the Firebox. No adapter needed. Instrument 1/4" cables also go directly into the front of the Firebox. Depending on what cable is used for the output for the audio of your keyboard, you may need an adapter for that. The Firebox has only XLR, or 1/4" (mono) input jacks. Most of the audio keyboards I've seen have either a 1/4" or even 1/8" stereo cables, or even an RCA type stereo cable. Can't say exactly what you need without knowing what the cable coming out of your keyboard looks like. The midi from the keyboard goes directly to the midi port on the back of the Firebox.

Back