Audio interfaces comparison

MidoBan

In my search for an audio interface, i realized that in the future i might advance to recording both vocals, acoustic guitar with stereo mics and backing vocals at the same time (with another singer), i figured i'll already get an audio interface with 4+ mic inputes.
As it's my first interface, at first i thought that i'm jumping too far too early, but then i found some affordable (used) ones that are not that more expensive then the common 2 mic inputs ones (around 300$-500$), so why not? I also want to have a midi support.

Here are the ones i came up with that has all the features i noted:
Focusrite Saffire PRO 40
Presonus FireStudio Project
MOTU 8pre
Mackie Onyx 400F
Tascam US-800
Digidesign Digi 002 rack

Share your're thoughts and opinions. I want the main consideration to be sound quality and not functionality (number of inputs/outputs and etc..), because all of those already have what i need in terms of functionality. I'm open for more suggestions.

Another little thing, if i don't have a FireWire connection in my PC, is it a big deal or can be solved easily? Should i get a FireWire card or FireWire to USB converter? What's the common way to deal with this?

Thank you

Last edited:
In my search for an audio interface, i realized that in the future i might advance to recording both vocals, acoustic guitar with stereo mics and backing vocals at the same time (with another singer), i figured i'll already get an audio interface with 4+ mic inputes.
As it's my first interface, at first i thought that i'm jumping too far too early, but then i found some affordable (used) ones that are not that more expensive then the common 2 mic inputs ones (around 300$-500$), so why not? I also want to have a midi support.

Here are the ones i came up with that has all the features i noted:
Focusrite Saffire Pro 26
Presonus Firepod
MOTU 8pre
Mackie Onyx 400F

Share your're thoughts and opinions. I want the main consideration to be sound quality and not functionality (number of inputs/outputs and etc..), because all of those already have what i need in terms of functionality. I'm open for more suggestions.

Another little thing, if i don't have a FireWire connection in my PC, is it a big deal or can be solved easily? Should i get a FireWire card or FireWire to USB converter? What's the common way to deal with this?

Thank you

Everybody I've ever talked to has had tons of issues with anything Presonus.

I would recommend getting a FireWire card.

Any idea why you prefer FireWire over USB?

I'm pretty sure that any of these are going to have pretty damn good sound quality, but be sure to test all the channels before you buy it, especially buying it used.

Sorry that I'm not really a big help, but I hope this helps you out a bit at least.

I would recommend getting a FireWire card.

Any idea why you prefer FireWire over USB?

I'm pretty sure that any of these are going to have pretty damn good sound quality, but be sure to test all the channels before you buy it, especially buying it used.

Sorry that I'm not really a big help, but I hope this helps you out a bit at least.

I don't prefer FireWire, its just what i found..
I wont be able to check the channels, because i'll be buying it from ebay, but i'll have to just ask the seller.

Ah, good old ebay. Check craigslist first, might get lucky, and usually it saves you a couple bucks if you can find something there.

Perhaps you should look into USB interfaces as well. Generally speaking I've heard better things about USB as opposed to FireWire.

Ah, good old ebay. Check craigslist first, might get lucky, and usually it saves you a couple bucks if you can find something there.

Perhaps you should look into USB interfaces as well. Generally speaking I've heard better things about USB as opposed to FireWire.

I tried, there aren't many interfaces with 4+ mic channels in my budget anyway, so i don't know if being picky about the connection type is legitimate. The question is how do i connect it to my computer as i don't have FireWire..

Well a FireWire card would certainly be your best bet, but who knows if that will fit in your budget (I'm not sure how much they cost)

Try This

Yeh, that looks nice, but who knows how it compares in quality to all the other ones in the list.. i'll add it to the list for people to share their thoughts.

firewire cards for a desktop cost about $40 but for a laptop are much more. dont get a firewire to usb converter cause they are probs more expensive.

Dynamic range of the AD/DA converters is a significant indicator of sound quality, as are the preamps. Compare the dynamic range specs on converters in those units. Compare preamp specs as well, and make sure the pres are powerful enough (you need 60+ db to drive an sm7b). Other factors play a role in sound quality too, but converters and preamps are where you could focus your comparison for an indicator of potential sound quality.

I use firewire processors externally (liquid mix 32 and others at times) and usb control surfaces and other devices (Variax etc). So for me I prefer pci-based internal audio interfaces.

a pair of m-audio 1010lt cards is my choice. also gives me m-powered digi when needed since I make most of my money adding my session violin, viola and other instruments to other people's projects over the internet.

but wihtout the need for m-audio compatibility motu is great, but really all of those are good sounding interfaces. it's more like are they stable with the features you need.

and I've had great results from presonus in the past fwiw - no stability or lag issues etc.

Check out the Echo interfaces - good bang for buck ratio. I use an Echo Audiofire 12 (no preamps - I have to use outboard preamps, but that's OK - they do make units with preamps), and it's super reliable and awesome - I got it used for about $300.

My knowledge in this area is probably getting stale, but on the subject of firewire, I remember that it's important you get a firewire card with a TI chip (or chipset) as opposed to something else.

My belief is that firewire is nice because it has a separate processor, whereas USB relies on the main CPU do to its work, so theoretically, you could wind up with hiccups if the main CPU was thrashing. For that reason, a firewire to USB converter (if there is such a thing) probably isn't a great idea.

On the other hand, it seems like firewire is on its way out, for better for for worse.

Quite frankly I'd say pick the one that rates best in terms of stability and get on with it!

You'll never know the difference because:
1) in order to hear the difference in converters you'd need world class monitors in a world class room and world class ears
2) you'll be too busy making music to worry about something so insignificant

I've had exactly the opposite experience. Everyone I've talked to has been delighted with the Firestudio line. I have one too and it's never caused any problems. I mainly use it on my mac, but I also got a PCI firewire card in case I need to use it on my other computer. Which, also, has never caused any problems. Firewire cards are your best bet, not firewire to usb. But before you do get one, make sure to check the list of compatible firewire chipsets on the Presonus website. I've heard of too many people randomly getting a firewire card, then bitching about how sucky Presonus is.

I've had exactly the opposite experience. Everyone I've talked to has been delighted with the Firestudio line. I have one too and it's never caused any problems. I mainly use it on my mac, but I also got a PCI firewire card in case I need to use it on my other computer. Which, also, has never caused any problems. Firewire cards are your best bet, not firewire to usb. But before you do get one, make sure to check the list of compatible firewire chipsets on the Presonus website. I've heard of too many people randomly getting a firewire card, then bitching about how sucky Presonus is.

Thanks, its a good tip.

Back