Audio interface

Johnnybone

Hello there,

This is my first post here, so don't flame me right away :)

I'm João, from Lisbon, Portugal, and as a musician I have some experience recording in studios both bass guitar and trombone (the instruments i can actually play...). So I'm not a noob in what relates to being in a studio and watching people do miracles with pro tools (and a lot of auto tunes after my takes ;) ).

The thing is, i've never been on the producer side myself and I'm setting up my own recording rig in the basement. As far as mics, amps, and instrument go, i already have the equipment. Also, I already have a worthy computer equipped with reaper for my basic needs.

Now, what i don't have is an audio interface, and my purse is currently extra slim, so i'll have to go for the cheapest i can find for the moment. Well, not actually the cheapest, for there are a couple of things i need.

First, it has to be USB2.
Second, it must have a MIDI interface.
Edit: Oh, and a couple of inputs suits me well, i'm not a drummer.

As far as mic preamps go, I already have a mixer with decent built in preamps and i'm not interested in condenser mics, so no biggie on not having phantom power if that lowers the price a bit.

The cheapest interface i've found on a primary search, were the Tascam 122L (125€), the Tascam 144 (150€) and the E-MU 404 (150€).

I've not made my mind yet about what to buy, so i'd be very happy to read some opinions. Also, if you happen to know other interfaces that suit me, that have about the same price tag, do tell!

Edit: Duh... just noticed there's a more apropriate forum for audio interfaces... bummer.

Decent Interface

I've used an E-Mu 0404 USB and was surprised at how well it does. It can deal with 24 bit 192k, 2 channel, but I use 24/96k most of the time. It has a couple mic preamps with phantom power that are quite nice, but I just use it as a 2 channel analog-digital converter; I use a behringer mixer in front of it. I got it on eBay, new, for ~$160 us; music123, etc have it for $200 us. It is similar to M Audio Fast Track Pro (same price).
I'm currently using an Edirol FA-101; firewire interface. Again, behind the mixing board, so just for analog-digital conversion. I changed because the Edirol will do 6 or 8 tracks at once into Audacity; this really helps when I'm working in a club (no retakes). I can usually get the mix set "on the fly", but having multiple tracks to edit can salvage a song if I screwed up...or someone was having a bad night.
I use a laptop with an intel dual core 1.8 gHz, 2 mb ram and Windows XP. I've never had a problem with hardware as long as I disable the antivirus and the wifi card.

Here's a good guide and tested suggestions that WORK: http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm

You'll want to bookmark and read through all of Tweak's Guide.

You also don't HAVE to have midi on the interface.
Midi is a slow protocol and you can use other USB midi interfaces at the same time.
(I've used a MidisportUSB 2x2 for years on 3 different daws with other audio interfaces with ZERO problems...)

Back