Audio interface - wasted on someone without enough knowledge?

EWarren

Hello!

I am working on a new studio for video production (mostly just stationary talking-head in front of a camera), and someone is willing to let me borrow a Rode NT1 to get started (I am extremely grateful), with the expectation that I buy my own if the sound works out. After doing some research, It seems the audio interface to go with this condenser microphone would be Focusrite 2i2 or Presonus 24c (both between $170 and $180).

After watching some tutorials on their operation, I realized that I probably would not touch most of the settings due to lack of audio knowledge. If I am just recording normal talking, should I dedicate some time to learn about audio interfaces' operations? Or should I just leave everything as is by default?

My requirement is really simple: have a microphone that stays out of video frame (an arm that lifts the microphone on top of the monitor), and I would use OBS take in the audio feed coming in from the audio interface + video from the camera, before sending the tracks to Adobe Premiere Pro for editing > upload.

Since the microphones require phantom power, I have no choice but to get the interface, and I want to get more out of the interface if possible (and do some learning). But if the interface is more for serious musicians, then maybe I will not touch the settings too much.

Thanks!

Basically any audio interface does the same basic thing. Inputs and outputs depending on your needs is the first consideration you need to decide upon. And obvioulsy you need one with phantom power for the Rode NT1.

So you seem to already have done the research and have good options.

On a budget, you could probably save a few bucks on a Behringer interface, but either way, none of them do anything much better than the others at this price point. It is still really just a slave input to the computer for your mic input as well as the camera audio out.

You will obviously need learning of video software to put it all together. That is a separate topic that seems you already have a grasp on.

Best to ya!

Basically any audio interface does the same basic thing. Inputs and outputs depending on your needs is the first consideration you need to decide upon. And obvioulsy you need one with phantom power for the Rode NT1.

So you seem to already have done the research and have good options.

On a budget, you could probably save a few bucks on a Behringer interface, but either way, none of them do anything much better than the others at this price point. It is still really just a slave input to the computer for your mic input as well as the camera audio out.

You will obviously need video software to put it all together. That is a separate topic.
Thanks! I will check out the Behringer UM2 - sounds like it is right for me - beginner interface.

Thanks! I will check out the Behringer UM2 - sounds like it is right for me - beginner interface.
Worthy man. You are only looking for clean preamps and DA conversion. That UM2 will completely suffice for what you are doing. @ 24 bit, there really is not a noise floor issue for what I presume you are looking to do. No need to get into high end audio at this point.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any further questions!

Cheers!

I would warn that the UM2 may be a little too cheap. It doesn't come with its own driver but it relies on the drivers built into whichever operating system you are using. If you are on Windows then you may have problems with long delays (aka latency) between the signal coming in and it coming out again. I'd suggest going for the slightly more expensive UMC0202 which comes with its own driver which should result in better performance.

I would warn that the UM2 may be a little too cheap. It doesn't come with its own driver but it relies on the drivers built into whichever operating system you are using. If you are on Windows then you may have problems with long delays (aka latency) between the signal coming in and it coming out again. I'd suggest going for the slightly more expensive UMC0202 which comes with its own driver which should result in better performance.
Thank you for your input! Yes I am using Windows, and long delays may impact audience experience. I will do some research on UMC0202 now.

A mic placed out of frame may be at a distance where room acoustics start to be a problem. You might find that an overhead position is better, or that you need a different mic (supercardioid pattern overhead or clip-on lapel type).

The 2i2 is pretty simple to use, and would do the job well.
I use the 18i8 with an NT1A, and am impressed with the results.
There are youtube tutorials on the NT1A positioning.

I’m intrigued by your assumption that a. it is hard and b. You probably wont want the facilities. I’ll add c. Audio is no harder or stranger, and perhaps easier to understand once you have the gear. Complication wise, you are dead right, there are a few features you wont use. Phantom, for example. Turn it on and forget it. You will need the gain control. All it does is let you set the same level so all your videos are the same. You might sit at exactly the same distance in each video, and you might never change your voice level from video to video, but chances are you will for all sorts of reasons. The gain control lets you cope with this.

you’ve read a bit and worked out that latency = delay, but in most cases differences are tiny, a few milliseconds which is largely irrelevant for video as when you edit, you move the picture in frame rate chunks, and one frame is quite few milliseconds, and a frame or two between sound and picture probably wont be noticed as long as sound follows picture. Sound even a frame early is a bit obvious to some people, late and it’s not. Our brains alway hear sound late in real life and we adjust.

if your studio is dead sounding, you can work further from the mic, I never go close, 99% of YouTubers fill the frame with the ugly mic, but I can keep mine further away. The NT1 will be fine but it needs very careful positioning so experiment. I’d do it with video, because then you can see what was going on. Do a few versions. Pick one that suits you. Close in you will be warm and intimate, further away sounds more broadcast TV, you then select the best for you.

Back