Audio Interface Recommendations needed

pdamasco

I currently have a very basic audio interface and it produces constant high frequency noise. The pre-amps on the interface are also complete crap. The unit also has latency issues and is very unreliable (Tascam US-144.) I currently record recitals at my university to make extra money and I constantly have to remove extra background noise created by this interface, and it makes my editing/mastering process take too long. I want to be able to provide people with good quality recordings faster and this interface is holding me back. Currently I record in Adobe Audition 3.1 on Windows 7 64 and everything works fine, but I want to get the most out of my Microphones considering that I spent most of my recording budget on them.

I am looking for a reliable audio interface which connects via firewire or USB2. It needs to have at least 8 mic pre-amps and I would like it to have ADAT support so that I could expand the inputs in the future. I am somewhat new to this and I am not sure how useful having a World clock in and out is. What interfaces would you guys recommend for $700 or less dollars. My main concern for the interface is that it has top notch pre amps and that it is reliable under Windows 7 64.

Future input expandability is also important to me because I may want to use it to record a band or small brass ensembles.

Is there a real need for 192khz support for classical music recording (brass/wind ensemble recording, small vocal ensembles etc, or is it more useful for studio recorded pop music?)

Any advice is appreciated and I would love to hear your experiences with your interfaces, as well as what your primary use for it is.
What DAW do you use?
I currently edit in Adobe Audition 3.1 and I use SONAR Producer X1 and Cubase 5.5 for my loop and synth based music as well as to apply audio effects that are unsupported in Audition (it has poor VST support for sound synths and effects plugins, Can't wait for version 4!)

Thank you for your recommendations!!!

That is a nice interface and it is one of the ones I was considering. I was actually leaning toward the Saffire pro 40 or the M-audio profire 2626 because they pack more features, and I have herd mixed reviews for the Profire 2626. The Saffire pro 40 seams to pack the most features for the money, but I am not sure how it performs on Windows 7 64. Has anyone used the Saffire pro 40?

I have the Profire 2626 and I'm lovin' it. It was a little tricky getting things to come together at first but I've been a very happy camper ever since.

Back