audio interface hook up

darren2k

I will be getting a Roland UA-55 Quad-Capture and will be hooking up to use a stage piano, I am just wondering which way would be best to hook it up , my piano has midi in and out / Aux in with two slots R..... and the other L/L R. So i take it i can connect with a jack 1/4 lead or a midi cable, but which would be best ? also i have spare jack leads from my guitars would i need to use two leads the aux in R and L/L R and connect them both to the audio interface ?

You could hook it up via midi for sure.
Hooking up via midi means you could correct any mistakes later in the daw.
If they're aux in on the piano they wount give out signal to pass to the interface surely.
And if you do have audio outs on the piano i would suggest using balanced cables rather than unbalanced(guitar cable) if its at all possible.
Have you considered micing the piano after all you listen to it in a room and play to the room so this is probably what you want to record.
Depending on what you want of course but the recording space always adds a dimension you dont get when recording direct.
Good luckand welcome to the forum buddy.

Do you want to record the audio from the piano, or the MIDI, which is an control signal only, and would need to drive an instrument via MIDI 9or a virtual instrument) to make sound?

Don't know much about stage Joes and you don't say what it is but I have dldd the manual for the pretty basic Korg SP-250 and that gives you MIDI i/o, left and right lines out and a mono out.

So the Roland QC (which is very well thought of BTW) can be used to record the audio signal as left and right and the MIDI data, the latter allowing, as has been said, fluffs to be corrected. The lines are not balanced but you should have no problems with decent quality "guitar" leads, don't exceed about 5mtrs and keep them away from mains leads and ESPECIALLY mains power lumps!

Some of the better pianos have digital, S/PDIF out and this would be useful because it would free up the QC's analogue inputs for micing an amp say. You will of course need some recording software to do all this. Reaper would be good. Magix Samplitude Silver (free) would be my choice.

Dave.

The Roland UA-55 comes with a copy of Cakewalk SONAR X1 LE which i was going to try out , also i will be getting virtual instrument software plus the piano comes with its own sounds which i would also want to use at some time . The piano has Aux in with two slots R..... and the other L/L R and Aux out . midi in and out and thru. I am very new to studio and the tech setups and it will take some time to learn but i just want to make sure everything is set up right . I was looking at this video from u tube these lads setting up the same audio interface to there midi keyboard they use two jack leads and plug it in, there also using software on there computer to record , Just wondered why they didnt use midi cable .? I put the link in so you can take a look they seem to know what there doing but its still a bit confusin. I left out the http www part as it wouldnt let me put in the link until 10 posts not sure why lol or if you go to u tube and put in|( UA-55 QUAD-CAPTURE Demonstration) its the first vid in the list or there abouts

youtube.com/watch?v=gfLLcHN31dc

You would only connect MIDI to and from a keyboard if...
1) You wanted to record the MIDI data

2) You wanted (or had to) trigger MIDI sounds from within the computer.

3) Playback MIDI data into the keyboard. NB If you ever do hook both MIDI in and out leads to such a keyboard, i.e. one that can generate its own sounds, you will almost certainly create a feedback loop at some point when the system will go crazy.

Easily fixed. Somewhere in the system will be a button marked "Local off" and this kills the keyboard's own sounds.

Side note: Do not pay silly money for "special" MIDI DIN leads. Bog S 5pin, all wired, pin for pin are fine. You might, as I did, find some very old PC keyboard leads!
Dave.

Back