Audio Interface 1/4" TRS Inputs- Are they stereo?

EastCoaster

I'm a total newb shopping for a simple first USB audio interface. I'm focused on the common basic 2-channel ones like Focusrite 2i2, M-Audio M-Track, etc.

I think I understand that directly plugging in a guitar or one microphone will provide a one-track mono signal for recording. However, I also have a nice consumer-grade electronic keyboard that outputs through a 1/4" plug that I am almost certain must be a stereo signal... at least I can say that the keyboard clearly plays in 2-channel stereo when I listen to its built-in speakers. Also, I might want to record from another definitely stereo source such as a CD / MP3 player.

Can anyone tell me if the 1/4" inputs on these interfaces will correctly handle a stereo input and then output a stereo signal to my DAW (Reaper)?

Thanks

In most cases 1/4" inputs will be mono. TRS connectors are usually used to accept a balanced signal rather than two channels. To get stereo you would use both 1/4" inputs. If your source has a single stereo 1/4" output you would need a splitter cable to get from a stereo connector to a pair of mono connectors. An "insert" cable has the correct wiring for this.

+1 to that.
People often associate TRS with stereo because the most common use of TRS is in unbalanced stereo headphone connectors.

TRS line level connectors are usually mono and carry the same signal on tip and ring, but with opposite polarity.
This means that any noise/interference picked up along the way can be cancelled at the destination.

If you have to use a splitter as described it'll split TRS stereo unbalanced to 2xTS mono unbalanced, which may result in noise/interference issues.

...However, I also have a nice consumer-grade electronic keyboard that outputs through a 1/4" plug that I am almost certain must be a stereo signal... at least I can say that the keyboard clearly plays in 2-channel stereo when I listen to its built-in speakers.

You assume the output on the 1/4" jack is stereo because the speakers are stereo?? Not a good assumption. Maybe the 1/4 jack is the headphone jack and it will indeed be stereo. If so, you can use it with the TRS Y cable and plug into your interface; just have to be mindful of your levels. If it's not the headphone jack, then you should have two other 1/4" jacks.

Can anyone tell me if the 1/4" inputs on these interfaces will correctly handle a stereo input and then output a stereo signal to my DAW (Reaper)?

Whether or not the interface can 'handle' a stereo input is solely up to how you set up the track in your DAW (reaper). Yes, create a stereo track and select your interface as the input. Run a TRS Y splitter out the headphone jack to the two inputs on the interface. Turn the gains on the interface all the way down. Set the volume on the keyboard to 50%. Play the kybrd and trun the gains up on the interface until you get green LED's and not red LED's (assuming 2i2).

It also doesn't hurt to tell us what kybrd you plan to use.

Whether or not the interface can 'handle' a stereo input is solely up to how you set up the track in your DAW (reaper). Yes, create a stereo track and select your interface as the input. Run a TRS Y splitter out the headphone jack to the two inputs on the interface.

I guess what I really meant by "handle" was if I could send a stereo signal on a stereo cable to just one of the TRS input jacks and then have the interface separate left and right and send them to the computer. Based on the replies here, I now know that is not typically possible.

Instead, I'll have to separate the left and right channels (regardless of whatever stereo source I may use, I don't know this Casio keyboard model # by memory right now) using a TRS Y-splitter and send them via two different mono cables plugged into the two distinct 1/4" inputs on the interface.

Thanks for helping and any more info you might have.

...using a TRS Y-splitter and send them via two different mono cables plugged into the two distinct 1/4" inputs on the interface.

Be sure to use a cable that breaks out the stereo on a TRS to two mono TS ends. The most common use for these is on a mixer's insert connector so they are often called insert cables. If the cable has TRS at all three ends it's probably wrong for what you're doing.

Instead, I'll have to separate the left and right channels (regardless of whatever stereo source I may use, I don't know this Casio keyboard model # by memory right now) using a TRS Y-splitter and send them via two different mono cables plugged into the two distinct 1/4" inputs on the interface.

Thanks for helping and any more info you might have.

If indeed, the output of your kybrd is a headphone out, then use THIS CABLE and go into 2 inputs on your interface. Using the headphone jack isn't the best answer, but if that's all you got, then you just have to ensure you've got levels set properly. But, that's not really difficult, just follow what I wrote earlier and it will get you started. If you find your kybrd has dedicated Left and Right outputs, use those instead. One mono 1/4" cable to each input on your interface.

Have fun,

Thanks for the cable details... and yes, I can now confirm that the keyboard does only have a stereo 1/4" stereo headphones / out jack-- so for that instrument it's all I've got!

Back