Audio in/out question

Ion White

Hopefully one of you more enlightened audio folks can show me the light on this. I am having difficulty getting the audio out of my DAW, into my mixer and back into my DAW. I set the channel of the vst to let's say channel 2, have the audio out from my interface (m audio fast track ultra) to channel 2 and then run it into my mixer (soundcraft m8) then send the master out back into the interface. The problem is that I can't seem to hear just the audio of the channel I'm working on, I hear all of the audio in my DAW. I just want to take some vst drums and tweak them a bit and warm them up and record the finished product in my daw. Any suggestions?

Your answerh

The problem is that you are using our main output (left and right) and running that into your interface. The only way you will be able to separate tracks is if you pan things left or right but that gets messy. What I suggest you do is if you have an interface with more that 2 inputs just plug directly into the preamps on the interface. You can record individual tracks like a pro that way. But, if you like the mixer, you need to make sure that you use each individual track's direct out. The direct out will go to the interface. While recording, use the prefaced button if you have it so that your recording dry signal. Then in your software configure a sub output that will go into the inserts part in the corresponding channel on your mixer. Plug your speakers into the left an right output on your mixer. What you are essentially doing is taking your dry sound, sensing it to your computer. Then, you fine tune your sound within the software. You send it through the sub out back into the mixer to adjust the levels of everything as record back into another track in the software. This can be done by sending everything through a sub output on the mixer. But if I were you, I'd drop the mixer and use virtual fadors. It'll save you lots of time.

Back