audio file clean up

p.babs

Hey,

I'm not sure that this is the right forum, but I have a question about cleaning up my mac (and I use cubase with the mac so here we go).

I’m running out of ‘start up disk space’, so essentially my memory is used up.

I’m guessing it is because I have a billion audio files from my recordings, 99% of which have been deleted from the original Cubase recording for various reasons including everything from poor musicianship, learning curve, or just a shitty sounding amp...

So, in everyone's opinion what is the best way to clean up unused audio files? Preferably without deleting anything that is in use on a file I’m working on…

Someone suggestd to me, starting a new project, then saving my current project in that file, and it will supposidly move all the audio files in use to that profect file...any opinions?

Hello p.babs,

The safest way will be to open all your projects and create backups of them.
This is how I have it:

• In the Music folder on the Mac, I have a folder called Cubase Projects.
  • Inside this folder I have one folder for each project I have been working on.
  • If you want to backup a project, go to File > Backup project

- Inside my Cubase Projects folder I create a new folder with the name of that particular project (E.g. Guitar idea 12/08/2013).
- Once you have created the folder select it and then click on "Open".
- Select a name (I usually put a date, that way I always know which is the last version).
- Then click ok.
Now, all the audio files, Images and the .cpr related to this project will be placed inside that particular folder.
Basically a project is composed by three elements the audio folder, the Images folder and the .cpr file.

I will recommend you to create a new folder every time you start a new project, then all your audio files will be organised and saved together with the corresponding .cpr; Instead of having an audio folder full with audio files from all sort of projects where you have no idea what is what and where it came from ;)

I hope this helps!

Best regards,
GN

thanks gn, hopefully that will work.

luckily i was smart ...cough lucky...cough... enough to creat new project folders for everything i was working on, so there shouldn't be to much heartbreak when i do this.

Back