Audio Engineering Schools?

ncorea

Hi, I'm sorry I if put this in this in the wrong forum, but I didn't know where else to post this question.

Has anyone here gone to a recording engineering school, or is anyone currently in school for this?

I ask because I am very interested in pursing an education in engineering and am currently looking at some schools. I just wanted to get some opinion from you guys out there, and some advise of what to look for and expect from these schools as well as to what to stay away from. Currently I looking at The Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences in Arizona, as well as Full Sail in Florida. SAE might also be an option.

So please if anyone has any experience or comments on this I would definately like to hear them.

Thanks in advance

Nelson

Full Sail has just turned into a money-making racket.
My friend Gary Platt was one of the founders of Full Sail, and the person responsible for the development of the curriculum, and Full Sail's subsequent accreditation. He left Full Sail somewhat dissilutioned and established a new school, which is superb, called ex'pression center for new media, just north of San Fransisco check it out on http://www.xnewmedia.com/bio/bio_platt.htm

sjoko,

I have no doubt it's an excellent school, but what realistically are one's prospects after graduation?

A program like this has to be expensive, not to mention the cost of living in the Bay Area. Assuming one does well in his studies, do you think this is a path to a high paying career? Or is it more of a "I do it because I love it" starving artist sort of thing?

barefoot

Thank very much for the information. I checked the site and it looks really interesting, I sent out for more info and hopefully will be able to go down and check it out.

Again Thanks

Nelson

Anyone else have any input.

How is the Conservatory in Arizona?

Well Barefoot,

I really want to purse a career in engineering, and I do love it. I been involved in my own project studio for about 2 years now and I have interned at a couple local commercial studios in my area and have decided this is what i want to do. I want to higher my education by going to school and learn reason why things work the way they do and not simple how to do things. Which was what i was getting at these studios 've been at. Plus they really didn't give me a chance to reseach and learn on my own. Now I don't mean they wouldn't let just go in a use the gear, I mean if they had nothing going on in the studio for a night or an afternoon, they wouldn't let me come in and read manuels and stuff. I have thought about the relocating and cost and am willing to get involved. My goals aren't only to become an engineer but like most I want to own my own facility. I have had very surprising sucsess with my small setup and now I ready to take it a step further and hopefully work on a professional level.

Nelson

Well, as I was responsible for putting the people with expertise and the people with capital together to form ex'pression, I think I'll be able to anser that correctly, as well as unbias, as I have no commercial interest in ex'.

Some years ago I did a lot of research into audio education, as everytime I encountered anyone who had gone through an audio engineering program, they knew what can only be described as sweet-bugger-all. I once encountered someone who had been through a 4 year uni degree program, in which time he had learned to operate a soundcraft console.

I went to uni's all over, as well as private schools including full sail. Evaluated if I'd put together a new school, who would be the best person to put it together as far as education was concerned, which was the then director of education of full sail, Gary Platt, without question.

To make a long story short, the focus upon which the education program in question was based upon was decided as follows:
- You have to educate people hands-on, on the type of equipment they will encounter at the highest level of the "real-world". So the gear has to be the best available anywhere, up-to-date all the time.
- The educators should be professionals in the industry first, educators second.
- The curriculum should be developped in cooperation with the industry itself, ensuring graduates are trained to meet real market needs.
- The learning environment should resemble the intensity felt at the high levels of the market, so graduates will be accustomed to working strange times and long hours.
- There should be a big emphasis on job placement and guidance.

The resulting program is intense, to say the least. Much is compressed in a short timespan, and if you want more, work through the night, as most students there do - the same as you'll find in a top studio.
When a student leaves, they can navigate a session on a Neve, an SSL, a Studer, they have the basics mastered, and they are accustomed to the "do it now" working environment. In other words, they make for recruits a damn site more usefull that those who have been through most other programs, and they are (proven!) moving fast up the job ladder.

Yes, its an expensive program. Compare it to a Uni - you'll spend the same or more, only spread over years.

Students get out of it what they want. Some want the expertise in order to set-up their own studios. Some do it to be able to produce / record their own material, most want a long term career in the industry.

Is it a path to a high paying career? Its a good, fast track path to doing what you want to do. Successful or not, high paying or not, that depends on the student, their talent and lots of other factors, same as in any other career.

One thing is for sure, Ex' students have been VERY successful in getting jobs, their job placement department is doing a premier job wich, by the way, continues to be avalable to graduates for years, and the response from the industry to ex' graduates has been very good indeed, to the point where some of the large LA establishments will favor Ex graduates

Nelson,

I'm not questioning your decision. I think everyone should pursue their passion. I'm just trying to get a feel for what the opportunities are. And how they compare to the cost.

I have friend, for example, who studied theater production but cannot find jobs in her field. She lived in NY and Chicago for a few years, but no luck. She does it in her spare time with a local amateur theater, but with the limited facilities she has at her disposal, she could have probably just learned it on her own. It's very frustrating.

I wonder if recording engineering is similar, or if there is a solid job base out there.

barefoot

Thank you again sjoko2 for your input.

Barefoot, Thanks as well.

I didn't mean to say that you where questioning me, I just wanted to get out that I am serious, but I do see your point and appreciate your feedback, Thank you

Nelson

Ive heard that these audio schools dont really make a difference in your career later on. Also you will be working on eqipment that will be way more than what you will have when you start out. What I would recommend doing is spending the money you would have used going to a nice college and spending it on some really nice eqipment, buy a few really nice books, and take two years and learn it from hands on experience yourself. This is probably just as or more affective as goin to a 2 year college, plus you get to keep all the nice equipment, and that is the equipment you already know how to use perfectly.

just my opinion on the audio engineering schools. this is what i have heard from many other sources also.

Darnold

That depends darnold, I know of quite a few ex'pression graduates who got jobs with Sony and Warner, where they were thrown in the deep end on the latest digital post audio gear, from Studers to Axioms. It all depends...

That depends darnold, I know of quite a few ex'pression graduates who got jobs with Sony and Warner, where they were thrown in the deep end on the latest digital post audio gear, from Studers to Axioms

in an attempt to find tips on recording a bass track i stumbled upon this 'controversy'. i to am currently shopping for a school such as nelson and would like more input on the subject. although i allready filled out the paperwork for rit at mi, yet havn't submitted. does anyone have anything to say about mi? thanx

Career Connection?

Hi sjoko2 and all, do you have any opinions about Jimi Petulla's Career Connection apprenticship program. The company basically screens you, then hooks you up with a studio in or around your hometown, you then go through their curriculum with your assigned mentor at the studio, and possibly wind up with a job there, and if not apparently Career Connection gives you job placement services for, I think, seven years after you graduate. It's not as expensive as a school based education and has elements of the ideal learning environment that sjoko2 lists. I've been interested in possibly doing this in a couple of years.

Any opinions or experiences with it or something similar?

Thanks - Chris

More info: http://www.recordingconnection.com

I really cannot comment on that one, as I don't know anything about it. I suppose the best thing to do would be to find people who have been through their system, as well as people who are currently in it, and ask them.

Back