audio driver already in use?

coolasvanillaic

Yo,

Ive been using Cakewalk Home Studio and Sonar for a little bit now. Suddenly they both are telling me that "the following drivers do not support the current audio format or they may be currently used by another application." But I dont have any other programs running. And its not like I havent used these programs before with my current soundcard, so why is it suddenly telling me that they cant be used. And when this dialog box come up, it says to diable or use anyway. Both options still result in no midi or audio from cakewalk. Can anybody help me??

Peace,

Matt

What soundcard do you have? If it's an built in one (sounds like it), then you might want to upgrade. This error-message is pretty common for poor soundcards (running cracked versions, btw. :mad: )

And you're sure you haven't installed any programs that uses the soundcard and runs in the background?

Most of this case is driver problem. Not actualy the soundcard is being used by other application. Just update the soundcard's driver. Some driver (eg. SB Live! older driver) will give you this message.

;)
Jaymz

Ok, just because I dont have a crazy high priced soundcard doesnt mean that this application should just stop working. Im using a Soundblaster Live card with the REAL version of Cakewak Home Studio and Sonar. Damn programs cost so much and the only card I can afford right now is the SB Live. So please dont try and be ignorant with me moskus. Theres no reason that both programs should have just stopped playing audio and midi.

Anyway, I upgraded the driver like you guys said but still no fixer. Could it be something else? The fact that I dont have a great soundcard shouldnt have anything to do with it. I used to use Cakewalk a few years ago with a much worse card.

Also, I am using a trial version of Finale right now and it plays midi. Has anyone ever gotten this message?

Peace,

Matt

I don't know if this will effect this, however you need to check a couple of things...

Firstly, are you running any other sound application when launching Sonar/Home Studio, are you running Finale at the same time?

Try this, start up Windows, close down all application, like Audio HQ if it is running, all instance of audio programs, then launch Sonar, if it comes up with the error message, go into (from memory) Options -> Audio. Make sure you have the bit depth set to 16 and the frequenct set to 44.1Khz... close Sonar and try again... see how that goes.

BTW, have you looked up the manuals for this error message?

Porter

Just a shot in the dark, but go to Options -> Audio -> Advanced and try checking the box "share drivers with other programs."

If it is already checked, try unchecking it and see what happens.

BTW, which drivers are you using (WDM, ASIO, or MME)?

i'm getting the same error message (with sonar 2.2 XL) i know the exact problem on mine though. the sampling rate on my soundcard in the control panel is different from whats in sonar. i can just make them the same because on the setting for my soundcard it doesn't say specifily what the sampling rate is. it just says something to the effect of " GOOD -----------BETTER" does anyone know how i can find out what default sampling rate is?

coolasvanillaic said:
Anyway, I upgraded the driver like you guys said but still no fixer. Could it be something else?

After you upgrade the driver, then you must run the "Wave Profiler" again. Without it, the new driver won't be recognized by SONAR :)

;)
Jaymz

thanks

Yo,

I got it to work tonight. I just reinstalled the original driver. Now everything works fine. Thanks for the help guys!

Peace,

Matt

coolasvanillaic said:
So please dont try and be ignorant with me moskus.
I'm not ignorant "with you". It's just that strange configurations such as "I have Sonar, HomeStudio, Cubase and Logic Audio 5. I don't hear any sounds with them. What's wrong?" really triggers my cracked software alert.

Sorry 'bout that. :)

chief said:
i'm getting the same error message (with sonar 2.2 XL) i know the exact problem on mine though. the sampling rate on my soundcard in the control panel is different from whats in sonar. i can just make them the same because on the setting for my soundcard it doesn't say specifily what the sampling rate is. it just says something to the effect of " GOOD -----------BETTER" does anyone know how i can find out what default sampling rate is?

Most likely... 16 bit / 44.1Khz, however if it is a crappy sound card, it might even be 8 bit... have you tried looking up the web with the details of your sound card for it's spec sheet?

Porter

going back to what dachay2tnr said,
"Options -> Audio -> Advanced and try checking the box "share drivers with other programs."
sometimes it helps to check and uncheck this box. that usually clears up any problems with drivers. thats what i noticed anyway.

J.A.-yep your right, this be 501..... im very excited about this. i didnt want to make a big deal of it, but since you mentioned it....

id like to thank all the little people who made that post possible, for without them, it would have been impossible. of course, with my knowledge of the digital recording systems, i probably could have posted all 500 in about a day or 2 with all of the questions i would have been asking about how to do this or how to do that.... next, id like to thank my mom and pop, for giving me life and my gift of music. without that, i wouldnt be here to disc.............
POWPOW POW
shots ring out from outside my window as everyone from the forum performs a driveby shooting and prevents me from posting anymore. :D :D :D :D :D

no, thanks for noticing. much appreciated. does this mean i cant post anymore stupid questions?

spacedye said:
does this mean i cant post anymore stupid questions?
Certainly not! You're a Force Of Nature now. People look up to you and speak about you in hushed tones.

Your words are now pearls to the swine that are the sub-500 posters. From here on in, your posts are restricted to helpful ones for those less-fortunate than yourself.

You must conduct yourself with dignity and grace. And above all else, you are no longer entitled to fart in public. That's the bit I found most difficult to come to terms with. :)

--
BluesMeister

Back