Audio Converison (Aiff to Wav etc..) - Is there a diffrence (Waves, etc..)

chadsxe

Hello

Some of you may remember from my (Wow recording at 96Khz) that I recorded a drum track (8 tracks) and quickly realized my computer is not going to handle a full song at that rate. I know have resample those eight tracks of drums to 48Khz and had a few questions.

1) Is there noticeable lose in quality when doing this?

2) Do different “audio converter” algorithms offer different quality conversions? For example am I going to notice a difference in quality if I convert my audio in Waves verses some freeware I find from googling.

3) If there are actually “better” programs fro the job which ones do you recommend. As of know the only way I can see doing it is with Waves (Which I have).

Thanks

Chad

You will lose something, but I doubt very much that it will be noticeable.

I'd be very surprised if there was much difference at all between various products converting between 96kHz and 48kHz, because the math is very simple. Going from 96kHz to 44.1 kHz is a different story. The math is a bit more complicated, and there are more ways to screw it up.

All this is just theoretical, though; I've never compared SRC's side by side. I just use what I have handy (which is usually sndfile-convert from the libsndfile package by Erik de Castro Lopo).

Don

I didn't see what setup you are running, but cant you just bounce the tracks down or import them and have your recording software convert it for you?

I am running on Sonar 4...

Thats what I was wondering......

Would Sonars algrorthim be just as good as Waves or better....

Is there something out there that is know to be "great"....

Back