Audio Cassette to Digital?

watash

I have a tape mixed and ready to become a CD, but I dont know how to convert it to digital. I tried plugging an output cable from the tape player into the mic jack of my computer and recorded it in Magix, but it only recorded in Mono. I want it to be in stereo like the mix I have on the tape.

What epuipment would I need to get this sort of job done. The cheaper and faster the better because I need it soon.

Thanks,
Watash

It's possible that the mic jack on the computer is designed for mono. If you have a "line" jack in the computer... try that. Most of the line jacks on computers are designed for stereo.

either a Y cable from the tape or a stereo to stereo.
Did you tell the recording prog to record in stereo?
Mic plug PROBABLY is mono - you should be using LINE IN.
More info needed. Is the tape player stereo, is it a 4 trtack, have you selected stereo out from the tape player - 4 tracks can play mono out, have you checked that you've panned thing,
WHY Magic?
You'll need a decent prog that will do the little things needed to make a semi good CD like -normalise if not master, EQ to compensate for tape & dig diff?
How good is you AD converter - that'll make a diff too?

Deffinately use the line outs from your tape deck to the line in or aux in on your soundcard. Be sure you have your recorder set to stereo tracks and the master control set to stereo in. Transfering from tape to computer is pretty easy, you just have to be sure to arm (activate) the right things so the signal gets from where you have it (tape) to where you want it (wav file) then finally to your cd burner.

I have a tascam 2 track that I mixed everthing to. I'm using the stereo outs from that machine, but I dont have a soundcard or anything, or any line ins on my computer. do i need to get a soundcard?

I was also thinking about getting a seperate cd burner to do the job, would that be a good idea? help would be great.

watash said:
I have a tascam 2 track that I mixed everthing to. I'm using the stereo outs from that machine, but I dont have a soundcard or anything, or any line ins on my computer. do i need to get a soundcard?

I was also thinking about getting a seperate cd burner to do the job, would that be a good idea? help would be great.

You said you plugged it into the MIC jack of your computer so you must have some sort of sound card.

At the bottom right corner of the screen there should be a little speaker/mixer icon. If you open it then go to Options -> Properties, select the "Recording" option and click OK.

Then select the box under "Line In", so now it will record from the Line In jack (which is stereo on most sound cards).

Then open up your recording software, arm the track for recording (make sure it's recording in stereo) and click record.

Agreed. The mic input is mono on 95% of computer sound cards. The line input should work fine. Run a stereo 1/8" trs male-male cable (both ends look like headphone plugs) from the headphone jack or line out on the tape player to the line in on the computer.

Back