Audio Buddy premature clipping

pchorman

Does anyone experience a similar problem with the audio buddy preamp in which it audibly clips before the LED indicator responds? It bothers me - can't trust the indicator.

The Audio Buddy will clip shortly before the lights indicate it.

The Grace 101 doesn't have a phantom power light. You will not find perfect design in these lower priced (under $1k) preamps.

just great. I'm tempted to return it. and there's nothing "graceful" at all about the onset of clipping with this thing - it gets ugly fast and requires careful monitoring.

I don't use the clip indicators on any of my preamps. The indicator on my ART has never been accurate. Just use it more and you'll start to get a feel for when it's going to clip.

Slackmaster 2000

Put a condom on it, it helps reduce sensitivity and alleviates premature clipping 87% of the time. Turning the lights off on a really good pre can also help.

Peace,
Dennis

The M-audio ones are kind of known to have an awfully low clipping point. It's not a problem if you use dynamic mics, or if you record quieter sources, but it can rear it's ugly head on vocalists who like to scream and swallow the mic . . . or for angry drummers on a mission to break their heads.

Just make sure your drummer has taken his ritalyn, or tell your singers to back up from the mic a little.

Used properly, the audio buddy is actually one of the better bargains in audio - two very clean, low-noise channels of gain for a measley $100.

Back