audacity

billy3000

sorry to crossthread here. was just curious if anyone has played around with
audacity. it is apparently unconditionally free...gotta be a catch there.

billy3000 said:
...gotta be a catch there.

No catch. Sourceforge.net, the location you downloaded Audacity from, was built to provide a place where developers could freely release their projects that are open to the world.

Look around... lots of really good stuff there....

hey thanks!!

TimOBrien said:
No catch. Sourceforge.net, the location you downloaded Audacity from, was built to provide a place where developers could freely release their projects that are open to the world.

Look around... lots of really good stuff there....

sourceforge ay? cool!!

I'll go check it out straight away!

Hey. I know this is off topic, but you are talking about audacity and kristal. Is there any way to use amplitube uno along with either of these?

innobidova said:
I tried Audacity and couldn't figure out how to record more than one track.

Did you try the documentation available from their Website? Seems like a good place to start.....

It is really not so much a multitrack program as it is a wav editor.
I use it to convert MP3's to wav when doing online collaborations.It works well in this capacity.

I encountered a problem with the syncing with audacity when I tried to multi track with it. The documentation said you had to manually sync the track with your mouse, that kind of zapped my creativity for that song. :(

innobidova said:

simultaneously? i'm not sure if it can do that...

however, if you record more than once in a session it will automatically spawn a separate track.

for my needs right now, I really like audacity -- but i'm not exactly a power user yet. I downloaded the low end sound forge and honestly, I like the capabilities in audacity a lot more... ironic.

hope this helps!

:D

I don't know how I got it to work with a single track before, but now that I'm trying Audacity again it won't let me record at all. It says "Error while opening sound device. Please check the input device settings and the project sample rate."

Audacity recognizes my Firepod in the Audio I/O section of the Preferences. It's currently set on "Channels: 1(mono)" because I only have my guitar plugged in.

This problem isn't really addressed in the manual or on the Audacity website, so do any of you know what to do?

hey

innobidova said:

hey since no one else has mentioned this i guess i will. No you cant record more than one track at a time in Audacity. I dont know about krystal (spl?), but you can record unlimited tracks in "Reaper." Its an awesome program with alot of features and of course, it's free!
check it out here im constantly really impressed by it:

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/index.php

new versions come out almost every few days, around three a week, which is crazy. So if anyone does end up downloading it (only about 1 mb), make sure to check for the updates!
best of luck with everything!! :D
-harry

innobidova said:
I don't know how I got it to work with a single track before, but now that I'm trying Audacity again it won't let me record at all. It says "Error while opening sound device. Please check the input device settings and the project sample rate."

Audacity recognizes my Firepod in the Audio I/O section of the Preferences. It's currently set on "Channels: 1(mono)" because I only have my guitar plugged in.

This problem isn't really addressed in the manual or on the Audacity website, so do any of you know what to do?

i know this is standard, but from what i remember, they have a realy good forum. So see if you can get any help there, and of course: check the cables, ect. see if your firepod works with another program, see if its just that line-in thats maybe broken?
best of luck though,
-harry

Kristal and Reaper are both for Windows only :(

hrwmusic said:
i know this is standard, but from what i remember, they have a realy good forum. So see if you can get any help there, and of course: check the cables, ect. see if your firepod works with another program, see if its just that line-in thats maybe broken?
best of luck though,
-harry
Thanks for the reply, harry. I was just about to post back here, actually! I already posted at the forums and found that Audacity doesn't recognize ASIO drivers or Firewire devices... or something like that :o . A bunch of users there are suggesting a program called Soundflower which routes all the input to Audacity. By adjusting the settings in Audacity, Soundflower, and the System Prefs, I'm able to do away with the "error" message. It doesn't matter, though, because Audacity quits unexpectedly when I click the record button. I'm just going to give up and wait for my friend to let me borrow his software. I can't see why so many people like to use Audacity for its MP3/WAV conversion as it doesn't work :mad:

for me, at least. But, still... argh.

Also, I'm guessing that simultaneous recording of multiple inputs results in one track.

Back