Audacity to record 24bit/48khz uncompressed, .wav files?

chaoshead

Can i use Audacity to make a .wav voiceover/narrating recording that's 24 bit/48khz and uncompressed? If so, how do i do that? I am using a PC, an XLR-mic (Røde NT1), Behringer UMC202HD.

Can i use Audacity to make a .wav voiceover/narrating recording that's 24 bit/48khz and uncompressed? If so, how do i do that? I am using a PC, an XLR-mic (Røde NT1), Behringer UMC202HD.
It's in the Quality settings/preferences for the application. You can actually set your application to record 32-bit float, which will probably be better in case you have any peaks over 0dBFS. When you export the project audio, just export it as WAV, and choose 24-bit from the File Type drop-down.

You should make sure to normalize it to whatever is being requested/expected, assuming it's going to be processed/mastered by somebody else, i.e., you are shipping a raw, unfinished recording.

It's in the Quality settings/preferences for the application. You can actually set your application to record 32-bit float, which will probably be better in case you have any peaks over 0dBFS. When you export the project audio, just export it as WAV, and choose 24-bit from the File Type drop-down.

You should make sure to normalize it to whatever is being requested/expected, assuming it's going to be processed/mastered by somebody else, i.e., you are shipping a raw, unfinished recording.
Thanks for the reply. I found that in the settings, yes. It was already set to 32-bit float by default, it seems. But, since the person who asked me to make the voices for him, said mentioned 24-bit 48khz in the job assignment... Should i still have it at 32-bit float or should i just put it to 24-bit?

Also, a small problem... I cannot find 24-bit WAV in the dropdown menu for some reason... where is it?

5234435.jpg
EDIT: Ahh, I found it under "other uncompressed files", sorry.

Last edited:
Yes, run at the best system you can, 32 bit float then Export as 24 bit .wav.

I do similar all the time because Audacity will record anything going through this Lenovo laptop except I record at bog s 16 bits and export 16 bit 44.1kHz .wav coz its not going to get any better!

Dave.

Back