ATTN: Recording Engineer

ametth

Sir Cool of Coronado
I read on rap that you got a couple of the chinese mics (soon with an SP mod? :))..I'm wondering, how did they sound 'out of the box', if you will?

ametth

Dohhh!!! You've caught me!!! Shhhh!!! Don't tell anyone!!!

Yes, I've have two 797 Audio CR998s. I was trying to (let me tell it's been hard) to keep my mouth shut on this for a while; and not for the reason you might think.

I wanted to do a mic shoot-out for you guys. I wanted to try and get a hold of (somehow) a bunch of "home recording budget" large diaphragm condenser mics (up to about $1000US or so; but mainly focus on that $500US range I was talking about in some other thread in this forum, and below).

However, it's been a long summer and I feel like I haven't accomplished much. In case you haven't noticed, I haven't been saying much here either.

I've thought about going to a local pro studio around my town here (I sorta know one of the owners), but I'm not sure what his mic cabinet looks like (if it really has very many of those mics in that category I'm looking for). I've also thought about going down to the local pro audio store (Skip's Music; they have a little iso-booth) and trying to see if I can do something there. I know two of the sales-guys (one's the "head" sales-guy) pretty-well (from when I use to buy a lot of things there). They never gave me bad prices; they know I follow the going prices.

But I haven't done ANYTHING to look into it yet and I've been wanting to do this ever since I got a hold the CR998s (a few months before summer).

So if you guys want to send me all your mics, I'll finally do it. Hey Monty, Dragon, and (at least) all you guys in CA (so that includes you ametth), that SHOULD be our next Mini-Convention. I'll even host it here at my house, at my studio. Hell, I'll even take the entire weekend off to make sure things go smoothly.

As you can tell, by me not trying to discribe what I think of the CR998s, I don't want to TELL you, I want THEM to tell your ears.

I do have a live recording I did with my matched-pair of Neumann 103s and 1 CR998 in figure-8 using a Mackie VLZ-PRO pre and a Presonus ACP-8 comp. But I'll have to explain it all in detail (when I post it, if you guys want to hear it) since there are major reason why it didn't turn-out better. But considering those circumstances, it turned-out damn well.

And I'm serious guys, lets do a mic shoot-out!

I lived in LA for 15 years..Moved back to Detroit (If you unscramble the letters in "Detroit", you can make two words..
"I Rotted". Just a thought..)
Anyway, I visit LA often..RE, I would love to get together with you and shoot the breeze about mics...
How bout it?

Dougie Johnson:

I'd LOVE to do such a thing!!!

Realize though... I'm up in Sacramento. If you can't make-it all the way up here, maybe we can meet half-way?

Heard of Harris Ranch?

Back