Attentuator

That thing looks like a fucking joke to me.

If there were a decent attenuator around for 50 bucks, it wouldn't be confined to ebay, it would be big news.

I'm assuming the wattage is to be matched to the max output of your head. If I had an amp that put out 60 watts to the speakers, would I go with a 50 or 100 watt weber?

That thing looks like a fucking joke to me.

If there were a decent attenuator around for 50 bucks, it wouldn't be confined to ebay, it would be big news.

It's probably a wirewound pot or rheostat (really big toroid pot). If done properly, it will work fine for volume control. I have some Peavey wedges that came with 'em, they are common in 70V commercial systems as wall volume controls too.

It probably won't give you a pure inductive load, and thus not gain you admission to the Temple of Tone. But then, I've personally never minded a master volume control . . .

someone recently asked me about this and i was trying to remember a thread about 6 mon's ago where someone tried a newer make of somesort and liked it pretty much as i recall... anyone remember the thread and the make/model on that???

Hot Plate

Mate,
Trade the wife in and get the Hot Plate. Hot Plates are great attenuators. Definitely better than Marshall ones.
Mike.

You guys are probably right...I need to get rid of the wife. :D

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out.

I've got the Marshall hotplate, and I like it. My tone is definitely better since I added that thing to the rig. And I got it for $200 on eBay.

You can get a Hot Plate for a lot less than $300 if you shop used. I think I paid @ $175 for mine off e-bay, and I see now that in finished auctions some are going for @ $150 or so. Make sure you get the right one for your amp. Great box!

Back