Attention MR-8 & MR-8 MKII Users - help with noise issues

Centropolis

I recently bought a used Fostex MR-8 MKII. I've read a number of user reviews that said that this unit has noise and then some reviews that they have no noise. I guess I got one with noise.

For the price that I paid for it, I am not expecting too much but I just want to make sure that atleast the noise and "normal" and not something that I can reduce or eliminate. Because there are different types of noise I hear, I want to see which noise is normal and which ones are just bad or maybe it turns out my unit is defective.

- when I turn on the unit and have no buttons activated, I just plug my headphones into one of the output plugs, I turn the phones volume up to about 1 or 2 o'clock and i hear hiss. Is this normal with this unit? When i turn it really up, I can hear some sounds that are like electrical interference or something. Are things in my room interfering with the unit? Like TVs and computers?

- is there a way to turn off the built-in preamp in the unit if I were to use a cleaner preamp separately?

I found I get the hiss when I have the 'amplifier' features in the guitar mode. So I keep them off.

Back