Att Tim Brown-another new song, please feedback

Well, there are definitely things that I would change, but they may not be things that you would change.

For example, here's how I'm doing my Kickdrums these days.

Batter: Clear Pinstripe
Resonant: Fibreskyn 3
Muffling: 3" thick 16"x24" Foam Pillow (laying in the bottom of each kick)

There's a Danmar "Hard Rock" graphite patch on each kick.
I used the ones that are for a double pedal, and instead of having them go horizontal, I turned them vertical, so that I can raise and lower my mallets, and still be hitting on the graphite plate.

The heads are so loose that they are wrinkled. Literally, I tightened the kick head by HAND, no drumkey.

I'm using a D112 mounted in each kick drum with a MayEa system.
The Microphone is about 2"'s above where the mallet strikes, and about 4"'s away from where the mallet hits.

This will give you a "Pantera-ish" type of kick sound with a ton of low end and a good solid click. You don't have to have the Danmar plates on the drums to get this.

Then, once you have it recorded, you want to pull out a little of the midrange, and gate the kick (use your judgement on how much to gate it...listen to it.)
I also compress the kicks at a 4:1 Ratio, because I switch between Heel Up, Heel down and what is called "Heel-Toe" technique (also called "Ballistic Bassdrumming, and some people call it a "heel slide", but with size 14 feet, there's no "sliding" involved! Hahaha

Tim

Back