atm25's for kick and toms?

dix0r

based on what i've read on here about them, sound-wise and price-wise, i was thinking i'd order one for kick.

then i also read that they were pretty good for toms. and since they're significantly cheaper than 421s (if i'm going to be needing 3 of them), i thought that they might be a good idea for that too, as i have a pretty limited budget.

so, i wanted to know if using this mic for both the kick drum and toms might create any "problems" later on in the mix or if there was any other reason like that not to go this route. i could definitely save up for the 421s, i'd just prefer not to if its not pretty much "necessary."

hope that all made sense, heh...

thanks,

-mike

dix0r said:
based on what i've read on here about them, sound-wise and price-wise, i was thinking i'd order one for kick.

then i also read that they were pretty good for toms. and since they're significantly cheaper than 421s (if i'm going to be needing 3 of them), i thought that they might be a good idea for that too, as i have a pretty limited budget.

so, i wanted to know if using this mic for both the kick drum and toms might create any "problems" later on in the mix or if there was any other reason like that not to go this route. i could definitely save up for the 421s, i'd just prefer not to if its not pretty much "necessary."

hope that all made sense, heh...

thanks,

-mike
You shouldn't have any problems... and the ATM25 is a good mic IMO. Oh, and the MD421 is my favorite kick drum mic too.

Humm, well I guess you like the B1 on mounted tom-toms much more than I do... and I prefer lot's of other mic's on toms over the B1.... like the C1000S, SM57, MD421 and etc. Anyway, thanks for your opinion and honesty. :)

ATM25?
Hell yeah! They'll work on all of your toms! It's just that it's a bit of an over-kill for your rack toms when you can get by with mics that are not rated with such high SPL's.
I only have one of them and it is my preferred mic for kick. I use an AT Pro 25 on my 18" floor tom and an Audix F12 on my 16" floor tom (I didn't buy them for that, I had originally bought all of them as kick mics and this is where they ended up). For recording I use my SP B1 on rack toms and my two MK219's on floor. I like how they work there, I just don't like to use
LDC's for live work. I use my ATM25 on kick for both live and studio work.

The ATM25 is a great mic, you could even use it on snare if you wanted, but most people will prefer a brighter mic on
snare. And you'll want to cut your lows for the smaller toms. But you can certainly use it all over your kit if you're of that mind.

I used to use an ATM25 for the kick, but I had to rent a bass drum mic for a session and got a D112 and find I like it better. Now I use the ATM25 for the floor tom, 2 D112s for the two kicks, 57s on the racks.

Yeah, same as 13th_Omen, but with Audix D2s or AKG 408s on the small toms. With the kick, lately we've been using our homebrew Speaker Mic plus either a D112 inside right on the beater spot or a 57 on the outside batter head very near the beater.

Last edited:
Back