ATM250DE vs. AE2500?

The 2500 is the best AT mic to come out in a long time. Yes, I thought it was good on kick, especially for live situations. The problem is, in studio, you usually put a dynamic element INSIDE the drum, and the condenser OUTSIDE. So having the elements together isn't as big a deal as you might imagine for kick. BUT, guess what I tried it on and loved it? Yep! SNARE! Wow! There's an old mic technique where you have a dynamic and a condenser together on the top head of the snare (like Shure SM57 and an AKG 451). To accomplish this, you usually have to tape the condenser to the 57, lining up the capsules, in order to use one stand and one clip.

So the AT AE2500 is a great solution for this application. I can also see using it on guitar-cabinet as-well!

I have not tried the other one, but there's my .02 on the 2500.

RezN8 said:
As for the comparison - sit tight - a friend of mine is buying the AE250DE as soon as it hits the market. We'll do a shoot out and post our results. Cheers, Rez

Cool...I'll hold off ordering one myself, any idea when 'they hit the market'? I noticed just about every place is advertising them instock, etc.

Anxiously awaiting a 'shoot out'!

Back