Atari setup with cubase

buddyC

OK, let me say this first: I have no idea what I'm talking about. I only have ideas of what I want to accomplish. I want to buy a Roland 1680 and use that for recording tracks from my keyboard. I want to get some sort of computer+sequencing program setup and record only midi data from my keyboard into the sequencing program so that I can record the midi edited results from my keyboard onto the 1680. I have read articles from alot of well known artist(ie. Fatboy Slim, Wagon Christ) who say that they use an Atari 1040 with Cubase setup for midi and it works great. What exact Atari 1040 model and version of Cubase do I need for good midi editing? Does the Atari need and specific add-ons or upgrades? What is your opinion about this old setp and what problems could I be in for if I get it?

in two of my studios, I have Atari's synced up to a variety of things such as D8B's, HDR's2496's, anything, and they are PERFECT.

What you need to do is hook the MIDI out of the 1680 to the MIDI in of the ATARI. Tell the VS1680 to send MTC OUT of the MIDI PORT. Tell the ATARI to read MTC as it's Sync in the Sync window. Now, when you hit play on the 1680, the atari will also play at the same location.

hook the atari's OUT to the MIDI in on the keyboard. now, if im thinking right, if you hook the MIDI out of the keyboard into the MIDI in of the 1680, tell the 1680 to activate MIDI THRU, it should work fine. I have my atari's setup in a similar way.

You will have to turn the LOCAL feature off on your keyboard when recording or you will be playing the sound, twice.

When dumping your edited track, just route the keyboard audio outs to the 1680 ins, hit play, and the keyboard will play into the atari.

It's quite hard to find atari's these days, all the studios are grabbing them. im using cubase, i think it's version 3 or 4 for the atari, im not sure. it works fine though. very relialbe. it has more reliable time than a PC. I have worked on some Norman Cook (Fatboy Slim tracks). His atari files were dumped onto a MAC running cubase the last time he was in the studio. i think he still uses the atari at his home studio though.

-hope this helps you in some way!
Romesh
-Long Wave Studio

thanks for the info. i think ebay has atari comps from time to time, but which exact one do you use? thier seems to be quite a few models and letterings(st, stf. 520.1040) and so on.

at the moment, im using a 520ST. i break atari's very easily,lol.i have a few locked away for the worst case scenario. if you overload them, they will crash, so be carefull. other than that, they are extreemly reliable. you wont loose a note. they lcok extreemly well to other MTC gear.

Back