AT4060 a few questions.

Mr Funk

Has anyone found the 19dBA self noise to be a problem when recording vocals in a home studio?

I know that it has a hot output, so do you think it may be too loud for my Joe Meek VC1Q (not CS) , M-Audio DMP2 or Safe Sound P1? I guess I could use the pads on the pre amps, which should be enough right?

In terms of the sound of the AT4060. I am looking for a warm but detailed and crisp sound (think Nat King Cole quality), and wonder if the AT4060 would be good for this? I have found one for a very good price, but my alternative choices are an ADK Area51 CE or Pearlman TM1, which will cost me just a little more.

I'd like to try the AT4060 against the ADK CE, but this is impossible in the UK, and as the TM1's are hand made in the US, I can't audition one of those.

Other cheaper alternatives are the SP T3 (which I liked on my voice, but didn't give me the WOW factor) and the Rode NTK2.

Is the 4060 in a class above the T3 & NTK2 in terms of delivering a 'proffessional' sound, or only in price alone? What is the used re-sale value of a 4060?

I didn't really want to spend anything at this present time (poor), and planned on splashing out on the ADK or Pearlman once I have some cash, but as I've found this AT4060 at such a good price, I've been tempted!

Thanks for any help.

Kane

There is an eBay seller named Mooncdawg that sells 'em new for $600 every now and again. That seems a lot more reasonable than the $1000 I see quoted so often.

I think the 4060 is one of the great unsung heros of the mic market. I regulary work in studios with $100,000+ mic lockers, so I am quite familiar with many of the high end mics and I think the 4060 is one of the best mics on the market at any price. Very detailed and lush. It is not as colored as something like a Neuman u47, but it has amazing detail. Its more like when you use it you do not get excited about the "sound" of the mic, but you get excited about the color and detail of the sound source you hear.

My best friend records big hollywood film scores and uses all of the best mics from Neuman, B&K etc on a daily basis and he is a huge 4060 fan as well.

Hello

I wanted to re-open this question as I am soon to put my hand in my pocket and grab myself a tube LDC for my vocals.

I'm still unsure which to buy, the AT4060, ADK CE or the Pearlman (Rotund Rascal) TM1.

I can't get to try these out easily, and definately not in one sitting, so has anyone got any experience with more than one of these mics? I have heard nothing but good things about them all, but not from anyone who has compared any of them.

My voice is similar to Justin Timberlakes (as a rough reference). I know he used a u87, but although I think his vocals sound well recorded etc, I'm hoping for a more laid back and intimate vocal.

Thanks for any advice.

Another vote for the AT4060. From what I heard on the 3D Mic CD, I agree with Ronan.

Everyone here seems to favor the AT4060, so why are you still asking? If you need a great tube mic and can afford one (at any price!) don't walk, but run out and get an AT4060 today! :)

I'm only still asking as I don't have the money to take a gamble! I don't doubt that the AT4060 is a very good mic, as I've not heard any negative comments at all, but this is also true of the other 2 mics I'm looking at. I was just hoping someone may have experience with more than just one of them, to get an idea of how they stack up aginst each other.

Dave Pearlman has said I could return the TM1 in it's original condition for a full refund if I don't like it. This is a great offer, and I was thinking I could possibly order one, take this to a place with an AT4060 and then to a place that has a CE and see which is best for my voice. A lot of hassle, but worth it!

Mr Funk said:
Dave Pearlman has said I could return the TM1 in it's original condition for a full refund if I don't like it. This is a great offer, and I was thinking I could possibly order one, take this to a place with an AT4060 and then to a place that has a CE and see which is best for my voice. A lot of hassle, but worth it!
That sounds like a good plan – I just don’t think you can go wrong with an AT 4060 at a good price. But OTOH, the ADK CE is a good sounding mic, too. Certainly compare them if you can. When you do, if at all possible, compare them by tracking your voice, burning a CD, and then take it home and give it a good A-B type listen before making your decision.

Back