AT4050 vs AKG 414B-uls

rdozz

I own 2 AT4050s and have an opportunity to buy a couple of 414B-uls at a good price. Does anyone have experience with both models. Would the 414 be an upgrade? I like the -20dB pad and the extra patterns. I may get a chance to compare the mics before I sell the AT4050s and buy the 414s.

I always like getting HR opinions......before jumping in.

Rob

I hear ya'

I have the B/ULS but don't have the 4050's so I can't give you a comparative opinion.

I've only had my B/ULS for a few weeks and it is my first mid-level mic. For me it represents a huge trade-up over my SP C1 so that might help you place my comments in context.

The B/ULS pretty much sounds good on everything I've recorded.....4 different patterns, rolloff settings and a pad. I'd say it is a very good versatile mic.

Bart

I'd take the 414's in a heartbeat. First, my experience with the 4050 is very limited, but what experience I do have indicates it's a pretty good mic in its pricerange. The 414 is one of the most versatile mid-priced studio condensers there is. It rocks as an overhead, any percussion except kick, a studio standard on acoustic guitar. Its multiple patterns, multi-stage pads and bass rolloffs make it a swiss army knife. I used it extensively on acoustic guitar and hand percussion on my first CD, and I wish to hell I could afford another one.-Richie

Thanks guys....

I will probably list my AT4050s in the classifieds in a couple of days. My mind is 95% made up.

BTW: Richard, I respect your opinions.

Rob

Last edited:
Richard Monroe said:
The 414 is one of the most versatile mid-priced studio condensers there is. It rocks as an overhead, any percussion except kick, a studio standard on acoustic guitar. Its multiple patterns, multi-stage pads and bass rolloffs make it a swiss army knife. I used it extensively on acoustic guitar and hand percussion on my first CD, and I wish to hell I could afford another one.-Richie

It rare to see such an effusive endorsement about a 414B-ULS. You're not confusing it with the old 414's, are you? IMHO, the 4050 will work in a wider variety of circumstances than the 414B-ULS. It is certainly more natural sounding. I find the B-ULS to be unusable on vocals, whereas the 4050 is often just fine. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, but the 4050 is definately more versitile.

Well, NK, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. No, I'm not confusing it with an EB, or anything else. Unusable on vocals? Celine Dion would disagree. Now, I will admit that the C414 (any version) works only on a minority of vocalists. It's the mic you put up when a U87 or a U47 doesn't work. If that fails, you put up the best dynamic you have and EQ the crap out of it. I will also admit that vocals is a sideline with any version of the 414, including TLII and XLII. It's an instrument mic first, a very good one, and the right vocal mic for a minority of vocalists. Find me a major recording studio that doesn't have one in their cabinet, more likely a pair. -Richie

I have the opportunity to compare the 414 to the 4050 in my studio using my preamps for a couple of days. I have a few mics that I prefer to use on vocals Kiwi, mouse, 4047 and even the 4040 on occasion. I never found a voice that I liked on the 4050s. I tend to use my 4050s as drum overheads or basically utility mics. I do use the 4050s when I record acoustic guitars in stereo. The -20dB pad and the multiple LF roll-off-- I believe this mic will kill around the drum kit.

thanls for the replies..HR rocks

Rob

I have 4050's and 414's (ULS's). Personally, my 4050's rarely see a session. They are what I use when I need more mics. I have rarley found something that sounds better on the 4050 than a 414. It has happened though. I agree that a 414 is not necessarily a put it up and hit record vocal mic though, but then neither is the 4050. They both take a little work, and I have always been able to get satisfactory results out of both with a little EQ. However, in the end, I almost always like the 414 a little better. It has certainly become my favorite bottom snare mic:) I do however often like the darker sound of the 4050 as a room mic for drum kits (with a ton of Distressor).

BTW, thats a good price on Rdozz's 4050's for sale in the for sale section. Someone should snatch those up:)

On a side note, I hate how hard those stupid 4050's are to get set right in the shockmounts. In their defense, I have never had one fall out:D

4050's never bug me on esses and sharp consonants.

It's a fairly mellow condenser with some serious midrange capability. It's gotta be the right voice and the right mix, but the midrange will tend to poke through in a mix that's busy with other midrange shit like guitar and piano.

It's also pretty much thee mic to use when you have a singer with a great voice that you want to just capture as it is. It won't smooth over any warts.

Keep in mind it's got a seriously thin diaphragm compared to most Large diaphragm condensers, so it really "reacts." Pretty sensitive. Not surprizing at all that people seem to like them for percussion.

xstatic said:
BTW, thats a good price on Rdozz's 4050's for sale in the for sale section. Someone should snatch those up:)

On a side note, I hate how hard those stupid 4050's are to get set right in the shockmounts. In their defense, I have never had one fall out:D
If I hadn't just spent my gear budget for the summer I would bite his hand off for the 4050s at that price. :(

I'm not convinced by the shockmounts either ... partly because I unthinkingly turned one upside down for a vocalist and then had to perform a flying diving catch as it kamikaze divebombed towards the floor in a break for freedom.

A friend and I debate this quite frequently as we scour the net for mic bargains. He prefers the C414 ... I prefer the 4050 ... the only reason the debate continues is that we don't swap to find out how good the other's is. I guess when you know how something sounds, you carry on using it. :)

maybe you saw my post earlier, but I LOVE the 414... on some things, it's just magic. for me, it's almost my number 1 grab. It was my first nice mic (having only a 57 and some clones, and a battery powered mxl before), so i'm partially biased... but I can say, whenever i decide to use it, it rocks. I wouldn't dare stick it anywhere near a sibilant vocalist, though. i've got a tlm 103 that helps me on those guys, and i'm looking for a re20 (been lookin for a deal for about a month now, actually....). anyways, where was I? Stay outta my room.

wes

I have a KSM44, which some say is almost indicernable (sp?) from a 4050. If that is true, I'd have to go along with Chess on this. The KSM44 is very true to the source and if you have a great vocalist it can be a thing of beauty.
Also, I've noticed that a lot of blugrass bands are using 4050's as their center mic. In fact, there was an Austin City Limits episode with Patty Loveless doing stuff off of her "Mountain" cd (can't think of the name of it right now). Looked like a 4050 up there and the detail, even over my lousy tv speakers was fantastic.

Terry

Back