at4040

question444

I'm in the market for my first condenser mic. I'm looking at the Audio-Technica AT-4040. I will use this mostly for vocals and acoustic guitars, but may want to loan it to my drummer's mic setup as an overhead.

Considering these applications, does anyone recommend the 4033 or 4050 instead?

Any other opinions are welcome too!

Thanks.

The AT4040 is an outstanding mic, especially for the price. A couple others you should consider for your applications are the AT4047 and M-Audio Solaris. The AT4047s rep is well established but the Solaris is a "new kid on the block". And from what I've read it's pretty outstanding for its price ($300.-$400.). From what I understand the AT4047 adds just a little fat and color, in a very good way, to any source. It was designed for voice but, like many mics, it's very versatile and can be used with great success for about anything. Comparatively speaking, it's my understanding the AT4050 is a little more open and air-ey sounding on top and that's not necessarily good or bad. It just depends on the application. I'll let you read the reviews and do the research on them but you won't go wrong with any of the mics you're considering. Each mic will have its basic personality and some have more personality than others. Just depends on what personality (color) you want your mic to have and how much of it (flatness/transparency). If it's anywhere close to what you want in the mix you can always EQ it the rest of the way.

Tom

Last edited:
I just ordered a 4040 from MrBowes (I'm so excited!!! :D), but of course I don't have it yet, so that's not very helpful. But I thought I should post to say that I've got a couple of 4033s, and I use them on instruments a lot, but I don't like them for vocals -- too much high end. The two voices I record the most are mine (crappy untrained adult male voice) and my assistant and lead vocalist (confident 18 month-old female voice), and the verdict is the same. The datapoints are not the most indicative, but the range is wide

I just ordered a 4040 from MrBowes (I'm so excited!!! :D), but of course I don't have it yet, so that's not very helpful. But I thought I should post to say that I've got a couple of 4033s, and I use them on instruments a lot, but I don't like them for vocals -- too much high end.

I was wandering who "stole" that mic from MrBowes! :D Congrats!

I used to have a 4033, and I liked it, for vocals too.. But some guy who wanted the mic really bad, offered to trade it to me for a...yes, this is the truth, a mint condition, vintage Fender Twin Reverb Amp... So I had to say bye-bye to the 4033 and just have never replaced it...

Randy

I was wandering who "stole" that mic from MrBowes! :D Congrats!

Randy

yea...I didnt realise someone bought it...I was about to suggest that there was one for sale recently in the free ads section, but looks like it is no longer available....

The 4040 is a great work horse mic. I had a stereo pair for a long time, and they got tons of use...anything from drum OH's to acoustic guitars, vocals, room mics...very flexible. Another great contender in addition to the ones already mentioned is Shure's KSM32.

Frank

Th eonly reason I would tell you to look at the 4050 is the flexibility factor... I use a pair for all sorts of stuff... M/S, omni room mics, spaced drum over heads in cardioid.... 4050s are the best bang for the buck work horse out there IMO.

Back