At4040?

tremblayj

I am currently paying off my guitar right now but that will soon be done so I am on the hunt for my first condenser. Right now I am just learning the basics on a dynamic mic(cheap) to a behringer board(does the job) and into a delta 44. Right now I am only interested in guitar, mostly acoustic, and vocals. I record bass direct. I was searching and after reading many, many threads I decided on the spB1. This all seemed good until I bought a nice guitar and thought why not spend some extra as it will do me good in the long run. I looked around and one that interested me was the at4033. I soon noticed that there weren’t many available then I saw the AT4040. I read most of the threads about it and it seems like a good choice. What do you think? is this a good mic for acoustic and vocals. I will also be getting a new pre soon, thinkin maybe the dmp-3. any suggestions welcomed with anticipation.

I use a 4040 about 18" from the soundhole and angle it to kill some of the boominess and it sounds exquisite. I sometime mic the 12th fret with a Rode nt3 and the combination is killer. (I never hear much about the NT3...too bad)

any other suggestions for a better first condenser for my situation? I was also wondering what type of sound this one has. maybe a short vocla/guitar clip if anybody has one?

I recommend the 4040. It's very honest. Good investment. The more I use it the better I like it.

ch2os7 said:
I recommend the 4040. It's very honest. Good investment. The more I use it the better I like it.

On vox, the fact that the 4040 is an honest mic can be good and bad. The 4040 was my first condensor and I loved it on my acoustic but couldn't stand to here my own voice through it. (a little too honest I suppose :eek:)

tremblayj, like many here would say, make sure you try it out first to see if you like it on your voice. Unfortunately I learned this the hard way. Alternatively, if you're on a tighter budget, you could get the SP B1 for your acoustic and then snag a second modestly priced condensor or dynamic that works for your voice.

my problem is that I live in a small city with only one local music store and their best mic is a spB1. I can get the at4040 for only like 50 bucks more because their prices are so high. Here is a link to some of my songs. they are just ideas right now so if they seem like they aren't mixed at all than thats probably because I just recorded it to remember the idea.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/thewaitersmusic.htm
sorry about soundclick, I am trying out new sites right now.
I am not sure if you can tell by these recordings if the at4040 would work on my voice but if so it would be nice to know or other mic suggestions for this style. (I am moving into a softer style more along the damien rice style or feeling)

Clit Torres said:
On vox, the fact that the 4040 is an honest mic can be good and bad. The 4040 was my first condensor and I loved it on my acoustic but couldn't stand to here my own voice through it. (a little too honest I suppose :eek:)

I agree, the 4040 doesn't "flatter" or "color" what goes into it. If you have a great sounding acoustic, it's faithful to that. It has certainly revealed some things about my vocal deficiencies. Some of the things I can correct. Some are simply characteristic of my voice but over all I still like this mic a lot. I use EQ and compression when I record my voice with it.

LOL ... My voice sounds best on a Shure 545L dynamic. It's smooth but not too detailed but it doesn't do much for the guitar.

I enjoyed your song clips.

Last edited:
thanks for the responses. I actually just listen to the mic test that was done on one of the other threads and I liked the sound of the mic, especially stacked up againts the higher end mics. does anyone know were I could get some sound clips of this mic on acoustic guitar?

hi guys.

Dont know if you have seen the thread already, but I just posted a mic shootout that has the 4040 against some pretty good competition.

its here under blind mic shootout $250 - $800

the at4040 was my fav , but the differances are very subtle.

I just heard a stunning Taylor guitar recording that featured several tracks, all with an AT 4033. Can anyone comment on the sonic differences between the 4033 and 4040?

Just curious,

J.

so there is no way to go to a town nearby and test the mic on your voice? i believe all these gentlemen above have given you good advice and direction but nothign can replace you testing the mic your self. the nt3 is not common for your uses....it is a handheld condenser that works well in many different circumstances. it is actally one of the most popular mics for vocal percussionists right now. not many mics can handle this. anyways, as a vocalist and vocal producer i think these guys are on track with the guitar sounding great on it but would urge you to try it yourself if at all possible for vocals.

i was checking and the closest place that would have it would be in toronto which is 4 hours away. Since I don't have a car or a full lisence I won't be able to get their. I think I will just wait to find the best deal online and then if it doesn't work for me I will just sell.

sickstring69 said:
I sometime mic the 12th fret with a Rode nt3 and the combination is killer. (I never hear much about the NT3...too bad)

The NT3 is one of the products that for some reason has never been liked on this forum. I find it a good all purpose Mic that is also able to stand up to the rigours of Live use and has many uses when recording including vox.

Tony

i have a nt3, and it took a while for it to find it's place in my setup
it is my go to mic for snare, and i sometimes use it on clean electric git
but i've not much use for it any whare else

Back