AT4040 or Shure KSM7?

wvsoulja

Which mic for rap use? Each are about 300 bucks.. Which should I get? And where could I hear both - any where? Any but got any suggestions on different mics? Also, I'll need a pre-amp for these mics right, either mic? Wut kind of preamp, any suggestions? (All I have is 1 mic)

:cool: The KSM7 is legit, it's refered to as the Fred Astare of mic's.
Most rappers prefer a hand held cardiod dynamic mic. If you use a LDC mic, can you rap into a popper stopper in front of the mic??
Some LDC's can be damaged with too strong of breath plosive's.

da MUTT

Yeah, I thought of the SM7 too, but thought he might mean the KSM27 instead... I've never heard of a KSM7 before... but if there is a KSM7.... who makes if?

A good sounding quiet mic pre is the Studio Projects VTB-1.
I think it's still $129 at www.bpmmusic.com
It's a bit quieter than another good pre, the M-Audio DMP3,
on dynamic microphones.

An excellent sounding, EASY vocal microphone to use is the Electro-Voice EV RE16. Most people today are ignorant about them, however, they have been used by many music industry heavyweights of the 60's/70's like Aretha, Elvis, etc.
Has EV's patented "variable-D" design to minimize proximity effect, like its big brother, the EV RE20 (too large for hand held).

Chris

Sam Ash in Tampa has the 4040 and the ksm 27. You should pester the sales pro into hooking them up and recording you on both of them. Try out everything they have and then go buy the thing on ebay. Thats how its done!

wvsoulja said:
Which mic would you reccomend then? The KSM27 for me?

I'd recommend that you audition the mics and buy the one you like the most... because the mic I might like the most might not be the mic you'd like the most.

TJOHNSTON -

Would they let me test the 2 mics? And choose one? What are those 2 going for? (AT4040 & Shure KSM27)

yes they will. Go to the sales pro and say that you would like to test out some vocal mics. They are in a glass case in the pro rec room. Try all of them out. Dont be suckered into some sales pitch. Buy whatever you want. If you go in the morning when its less busy they will be more likely to work with you. If you go when the place is screaming with guitar noise then you could probably just walk out with the mic in your pants. But dont do that! Vocals will never sound good on a stolen mic.

Henri Devill said:
I think they are about $299.00 apeice..same price

I was just in Guitar Center yesterday (NJ) and there they were the same two mics in question side by each in a display cabinet $299 just like the man said.

i can tell you i'm loving my Shure SM7 RNP combination...sm7 is a lil dark but its like an un polish diamond after u polish it with the right amount of eq, compression, etc... sounds real good

Back