AT4033 question

Krystof01

I am having trouble working out how best to use the AT4033 when stereo micing an acoustic guitar (x/y position) because of the shockmount. What's the best way around this. I'm pairing it with my Rode NTK (without shockmount).

Cheers.

I have done it by turning one of the mics upside-down which puts one shockmount below and one shockmount above the capsules. It works pretty much the same even when you place one mic directly above the other. My only suggestion is if your mount is like mine (prone to slip some at times) you may want to rig a saftey rubber band on the upper inverted mic to make sure it doesn't pop out and go crashing to the floor.

tmix

I don't know if i'd use an XY setup with two different mics. You'd probably want at least a stereo pair of something for that. So I wouldn't worry about your dilemna for now. Just use a wider stereo technique, and you'll be fine. Point one of them at around the 11/12th fret, and the other one over the guitarist's right shoulder pointing towards his strumming hand.

Yeah, I've sort of given up with the x/y position with these two. I still use the NTK and NT1 though.

Yes I was turning the NTK upsidedown to accomodate the position better.

Now I'm using either one over the shoulder or at the bridge and the other around the 12th.

Thanks,
Krystof.

Back