AT2020 not showing on pc

shapesbbq

Hi, I'm new to the condenser microphone scene and decided to delve into the dungeon that is a complex microphone setup in return for (hopefully) decent voice quality on my computer.
I decided to buy a Behringer PS400 phantom PSU alongside an AT2020 condenser microphone. Alongside this i bought an XLR M/F to connect the mic to the PSU, and an XLR M/3.5 to plug it into my PC. I got the setup together, pluged everything in and BOOM... nothing. I'm quite angry atm considering I had just spent 300 odd dollars (aus) to organise a microphone setup that simply does not work.
After some research, it seems that EVERYONE uses an audio interface for their microphones, and I couldn't find an example of an individual using a sole phantom PSU to connect their mic to their pc.
Is there some way, without having to buy an audio interface, that I can use my current setup to get my microphone to work on my pc? I've heard that a USB sound card such as the Sabrent USB card could work? I don't want to make another impulsive buy though, so I thought I'd see if someone can confirm that it COULD work.
Cheers for the help, if you can.

It's theoretically possible to connect a pro mic to the minijack, but it's generally problematic. There are simple XLR-USB converters, which are essentially interfaces with very limited functionality. They have no real preamp, no level control, no output. It's generally best to have the input and output in one device, which is one way interfaces are superior.

It's theoretically possible to connect a pro mic to the minijack, but it's generally problematic. There are simple XLR-USB converters, which are essentially interfaces with very limited functionality. They have no real preamp, no level control, no output. It's generally best to have the input and output in one device, which is one way interfaces are superior.
so by this logic, my phantom power supply alone wont do anything?

You've probably jumped in a bit too quickly with your purchases.

If you intend to pursue recording more seriously, you are best off getting an audio interface. Youn can get one fairlyt cheaply, such as this one:

This will provide the phantom power you need for the AT, will connect to computer via USB, will take one or more inputs, and will allow you to monitor your recording or playback via headphones or speakers.

I'm really confused as to why someone would go such a path to kludge something together when a simple interface is all that is needed. It's much more straightforward to just get a USB audio interface. A very basic interface like the Behringer UM2 or Mtrack Solo would be all you need to connect the mic, provide the 48V phantom, and not have to rely on dodgy 3.5mm mini jacks.

We've covered this in your other topic on the same subject. What have you wasted? Time sure, and money - but you don't seem willing to even try. Your probably issue is most likely just the XLR to 3.5mm cable. Do the tests in the other topic and it's 80% likely all will be well - you just bought stuff you didn't need.

Incidentally, interfaces are a good idea because they do input and output in one box, so you mic and line level source go into it, and your speaker system and headphones also go into it. Computers have notoriously dreadful audio systems in them. The are noisy and often pretty lo-fi. A modest interface will get you going. Sell the Behringher power supply on ebay, and start again, properly.

so by this logic, my phantom power supply alone wont do anything?
All the phantom power supply does is power up the mic. It still needs a mic preamp, an analog to digital converter and a way to get the digital signal into the computer. The minijack input on your computer does those last three, but cheaply, and that's if you solve the problem of connecting an XLR to the minijack (which were never designed to work together). An audio interface is specifically designed to do all those things plus let you hear your inputs and any playback from the computer. What you're doing is like trying to build your own car out of a couple of old bicycles and a lawnmower engine.

FWIW, one reason your adapter might not be working correctly is that it might not be the correct type. Some computers use TRS plugs, some use TRRS connectors. TRRS are found on single plugs that are supposed to support both stereo headphones and a microphone, vs TRS which support only a mono headset and mic, or only stereo headphone with no mic. You have to be sure what is on your computer. I have two computers which use totally different wiring on the plug.

And some computers use a TS connector. Even if you solve that connection problem, you still have cheap mic pre and conversion.

Back