AT 4041s: uses?

pointfive

Years back I bought a matched pair of AT4041s. I was looking for good mics to use for drum overheads. I've used them a few times for that purpose, always with poor results. They sound very thin and "washy". They make crash cymbals sound really weak, like someone saying "pwissss..."

I've used them on acoustic guitar once or twice, with decent results.

My dilemma now is that I almost never use them. I'm an amateur when it comes to all this, though I've done tons of reading and research and feel like I have a good basis of understanding. Unfortunately I don't have the time to go into the studio and spend hours experimenting with these mics to find when and where they sound best. All I know is that they were sold to me as "good mics for drum overheads", and I've found them to be crappy for that purpose, so I have the idea in my head that they're crappy mics. (I'm aware it could be my technique and not the mics.)

So my question is: are they crappy mics? Does anyone here use them? If so, what for?

Thanks!

if you're getting thin, washy cymbals sounds that's definitely NOT the mic - the 4041 is quite an eminently usable small-dia condenser. Weak, thin, washy cymbals come from phase issues due to mic placement.

I use a 4041 all the time with acoustic guitar/flute/mandolin/fiddle and it works very well. I use it in preference to a Shure SM81 due to its exhibiting (in my room) a little more personality.

Sounds like a source / placement issue? I have a pair of AT4041 and they are good mics. I like them on acoustic guitar about as much as the old Russian made Oktava MC012's, they have a nice bite to them and a bit of that Audio Technica grit to them (they're not "gritty" in any crazy way, but most AT mics have a bit of that sound). The AT4041 make decent overhead mics as well, although my LDC pairs usually beat them out.

I sure doubt that mic is causing you trouble but I could be wrong?

War

Back